121/135 WX goes below mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StarrBuck

Ok, question for the regs experts.. The situation is this, you have been cleared for an ILS approach and instructed to join the glideslope at an altitude higher than the published intercept altitude. For instance if the pub. intercept altitude is 2500, lets say ATC clears you for the approach and instructs you to join at 3000ft. Now you are 3 miles from the outer marker, and they advise you that the RVR has dropped below landing minimums? Can you continue the approach due to the fact that you have already joined the "final approach fix"? Thanks in advance!!!

S.B.

Sounds like a 135 oral question. Got it on my last FAA oral. Refer to 14CFR135.225(c). It appears that you might be able to. However, more details might be needed. Does the approach have a final approach fix? If so, you must miss unless you are at or past this fix. If there is no final approach fix, then if established inbound and within the distance presciribed you can continue.

Our FOM says that the Final Approach Segment begins at the later of Glide Slope Intercept and the published Glide Slope Intercept Altitude. So, if your published GSIA is 2500' but you're cleared to "maintain 4000' & track the localizer inbound" then later "cleared the approach," then when you are at 2700' you hear that the wx has gone below mins, you are NOT yet on the FAS & you go around. Matters not if you intercepted the GS at 4000', or flew the published stepdowns so as to be level at 2500 & watch the GS come down.

On the other hand, if the published GSIA is 2500' and you're cleared to "maintain 2000' until established, cleared the ILS," your FAS has begun as soon as you get GS capture.

Once on the FAS you can continue for the "look-see" if the wx goes below mins; if you aren't yet on the FAS & the wx goes down, then you get to think about divert options. Lucky you!

Make sense?

Snoopy

FAF on a precision approach is glide slope intercept at the published altitude. If intercepted at a lower altitude (i.e., MVA) it is the actual point of intercept If intercepted at a higher than published altitude it is on glide slope at the published altitiude.

I agree with The Funny New Guy and Snoopy the only thing I would like to input, That some complex approach procedure depict multiple G/S intercept altitudes(so breif the chart carefully esspecially for that oral).

Latest resources

Back