Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J32

sydeseet said:
A J31 is sexy???? (kind of like Fat B@stard)

Whoa... easy... I flew that thing for almost 3 years. It may be ugly and hot.. but it never let me down. (even with all the DMI stickers)

I am a fomer Cape Air pilot and i have done 18legs in a 14hr day. I've seen another guy do 24legs in a 14hr day. and a lot of times we where flying in solid I all day, in a single pilot ops. also a lot of times we timed out for the day, week or month. Its sceduled 135. shot more hard approachs in a day then a lot of guys shoot all year. UNOS or 99
I can't belive any company still flys J-31 or 32 what a waist.

Last edited:
Why is everyone knocking the streams? Granted it isn't a cushy lifestlye but it makes you thankful when you get to move up to a decked out plane with an autopilot and an FA. I am glad that we (CCair) are getting rid of ours but there are things I will miss.
1. Carolina 5150 you are 80 knot overtake on a 767 slow to 160.
2. Bumping my nads on every passengers' shoulder as I go back to close the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** door.
3. The satisfaction of shooting an approach down to "minimums" without the aid of an autopilot.
4. Thinking up creative replies to every passenger that steps on and says "Is this plane safe?" or "**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** this is small"
5. Etc. etc. etc. please feel free to add

Will I miss flying the old Turbo Gnat? NOT A CHANCE
Am I thakful I wasn't born into a glass cockpit with all the bells and whistles? Yes. I know where I came from and will never forget it thanks to the Mighty J-32

1. "CommutAir 2525, slow to approach speed, you're following traffic, a Northwest DC-9, 12 o'clock, 5 miles, and you've got 120 knots on him".

2. Thankfully, the door is up front on a 1900. Of course, doing the walkthrough before taking my seat caused the same problem. Just had to remember to face the hot chicks as I brushed by them, too bad we never carried any!

3. Doesn't everyone have to do that? :D

4. "Don't worry sir (ma'am), we fed the gerbils and wound the rubber bands so we'll be all right!

5. During a single engine taxi:

Passenger: (worried) "Uh, excuse me, but do you guys know that your left engine isn't running?"

Captain: "Yes ma'am, we were just discussing that. See, we're trying to settle a bet. I say we can take off on one engine but my counterpart here doesn't believe me, so I'm just gonna prove it to him once and for all and he's gonna owe me a steak dinner! Now if you'll just return to your seat we'll be underway shortly."

Might not sound that funny here but the look on the passenger face was priceless!

Last edited:
Be thankful you don't fly 121 supplememtal international rules. 12 hours flight time per 24 hours, no duty time limits. TurboS7 can relate, I'm sure.

My longest duty day, from the time I showed to the time I walked out into the parking lot was over 22 hours. Most flight time in one day, 11.6 hours, 7 legs, 17 hours on duty, no autopilot, and before each leg, we loaded or unloaded 28,000 lbs of salmon in 2000 lb. bins, using a hand pallet jack. makes me tired just thinking about it.

regards

etc.

Part 121 Supplemental International is tough duty. 24 hours and still flying. How about single pilot merlin flying in ice and tstms 5 nights a week and 11 hours a night on duty? Hey...no wonder I wear a small watch. Phuq that. Flying is better left for Sunday afternoons in a convertible Steen Skybolt listening to the Doobie Brothers in Class G.

Colonel Cairo said:

5. During a single engine taxi:

Passenger: (worried) "Uh, excuse me, but do you guys know that your left engine isn't running?"

Captain: "Yes ma'am, we were just discussing that. See, we're trying to settle a bet. I say we can take off on one engine but my counterpart here doesn't believe me, so I'm just gonna prove it to him once and for all and he's gonna owe me a steak dinner! Now if you'll just return to your seat we'll be underway shortly."

Might not sound that funny here but the look on the passenger face was priceless!

Does Commutair have power steering on their 1900's to allow SE taxi? We were always prohibited from doing so at the carrier I worked for.

This was from when CommutAir still had some old 1900s with the power steering option. There aren't any in the fleet today but single engine taxis are still done (and allowed). Just takes more muscle and a little planning.

Tired...?

I don't know about anyone else, but I would kill to have a job and flying commuters 6 days a week...

If your looking for a replacement don't hesitate to call me

hehehe

Hey Colonel Cairo

Got to love walking the isle of that 1900... At least you're in a "D". I have to find two open seats to turn my fat as@ around in the "C". God help me when two really fat people sit next to each other. Uhm.. Excuse me please.. need to squeeze through here..
When I do get the pleasure of flying our one and only D, I always seem to rip my fu@king balls apart trying to get in the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** seat. Only good thing about the C.. Easy to get in and out of.. sorta

What a great plane it is otherwise. I love shooting the visual to 4L in Boston and screaming by the jets on final, slowing down 3 miles out..

Ever try and steer that thing with the nose gear steering disconnected? What a joy!

Latest resources

Back