Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

12-20...Reuters...List of top retirement plans...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you missed the point. SWA pilots can easily max out their 401k plans and still have plenty of money left over for living an upper middle class life. MOST people cannot do that. If you gave the EXACT same "pilots" 401k plan to a bunch of teachers making 45k, the SAME plan would rate much lower because of the way the plans are measured and ranked.

I am almost shocked that you think most people in America can just "max out their 401k plan".

One of the important metrics in ranking the plans by this company is plan balances. The article clearly states that employee deferrals and company matching are the reasons for some plans having higher balances, and better rankings.

Tell me, the SWA 401k plan for other employee groups rates much lower, even with the same 9.3% match, if it is not because of the pilots segregated plan, and their high salaries, why the discrepancy.

I said it was a good plan. But the data is what it is because it is a pilots only plan(high salaries) and a good company match. Yes, it is a good plan otherwise, but those two factors are very significant to why it was rated number one.

Well first, don't be shocked. I didn't say "most people in America" can max out their 401k plan. I said most (if not all) PILOTS at major airlines can max out their plans. And as well they should. What else I said, was that there are lots of companies whose employees are able to do the same, and that's true. You know, tech companies, energy, financials, etc. Not necessarily most Americans.

I guess I wasn't clear the first time. The difference between SWAPA's 401k and the rest of Southwest employees' 401k is much more than simply segregating the pilots' money. They are actually completely different plans. They're as different as IBM's plan vs. Yahoo's plan. They're run by different managers at different investment companies, they have different investment choices, etc. Plus, the pilot 401k plan allows you to designate a portion of the investment as a brokerage account for trade of individual securities if desired. The guys who run it for SWAPA are very smart indeed, and do a better job as a whole, apparently, than other plans' guys.

As you say, amount of money per participant may be a determining factor, but it's certainly not the only one, or necessarily the main one. If it was, our plan wouldn't be #1. There's high-earner companies with better company matches than ours. The report weighs some 200 criteria (so says the article), and even mentions that a lot of different things are considered:

"You'll find tremendous variation in key success factors, including plan cost, employer generosity and the quality of investment choices."

Keep in mind that Brightscope's work was in determining the relative quality of each group's plan, not just measuring the size. If that was the case, you wouldn't need Brightscope's research to rank them, just a calculator.

Bubba

Well first, don't be shocked. I didn't say "most people in America" can max out their 401k plan. I said most (if not all) PILOTS at major airlines can max out their plans. And as well they should. What else I said, was that there are lots of companies whose employees are able to do the same, and that's true. You know, tech companies, energy, financials, etc. Not necessarily most Americans.

I guess I wasn't clear the first time. The difference between SWAPA's 401k and the rest of Southwest employees' 401k is much more than simply segregating the pilots' money. They are actually completely different plans. They're as different as IBM's plan vs. Yahoo's plan. They're run by different managers at different investment companies, they have different investment choices, etc. Plus, the pilot 401k plan allows you to designate a portion of the investment as a brokerage account for trade of individual securities if desired. The guys who run it for SWAPA are very smart indeed, and do a better job as a whole, apparently, than other plans' guys.

As you say, amount of money per participant may be a determining factor, but it's certainly not the only one, or necessarily the main one. If it was, our plan wouldn't be #1. There's high-earner companies with better company matches than ours. The report weighs some 200 criteria (so says the article), and even mentions that a lot of different things are considered:

"You'll find tremendous variation in key success factors, including plan cost, employer generosity and the quality of investment choices."

Keep in mind that Brightscope's work was in determining the relative quality of each group's plan, not just measuring the size. If that was the case, you wouldn't need Brightscope's research to rank them, just a calculator.

Bubba

Your points are well taken. I still think you are grossly underestimating your relative income position vs. other airlines, and virtually all other working groups nationally. Your incomes are higher than virtually any other airline, and the account balance is a significant component. Although only 1 of many. But I am sure they are not all weighted equally. You know as well as I do that the mean income of SWA pilots is most certainly 175k plus.

The only other work groups or job classes that can match that income level of ALL participants would be "brain surgeons 401k", "CEO's 401k Plan", and "Nuclear Scientists 401k plan"...

Very few 401k plans in the country are made up of only 150k plus participants.

Yes, many other factors. Yes, it is a great plan on its own.

Interestingly, I still fly with Captains that "can't afford to contribute"!

Free money, down the drain, but my profit sharing appreciates it!

Later,
KBB

SWA Credit Union

Your part about the "piggy bank" is correct. The SWA Credit Union pays 4.0% APR on checking, up to $25,000. I can't find a better deal on checking anywhere.

When you add it all up, it's a rather impressive package. Very grateful to be onboard.

Gotta join the shout out for the Credit Union. Not just looking at checking accounts, but where can you find any secured cash investment that's going to bring you in 4%!!!

Nobody has pointed out that SWAPA manages the Pilots 401K plan themselves thus the company pays no management fees for our plan. We pay them thus lowering the cost to our employer.

As a junior FO, I usually hit the cap in June. Then I just continue to invest the big cash bump into regular brokerage accounts.

It's awesome to have the best plan in the country....not just the industry. Well done SW and SWAPA.

RF

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back