100hr, 50hr inspections required?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

I read on another thread that 100hr inspections are not required for rental aircraft. Is this true? When ARE 100hrs required??

How does this extend to 50 hr inspections??

Also, are the requirments for non-profit flying clubs any different?

If a 100 hr IS required, can you depart in an airplane that will reach the 100 hour mark on your flight?

Thanks so much for you help!!

If I remember correctly:

14 cfr 91.409

100 hr is required if carrying any person (other than crewmember) for hire or giving flight instruction for hire.

If not operated for hire aircraft will only require annual inspections.

I sound like I know something
:)

I forgot the 50hr inspection.

I haven't found anything, In piston a/c they tend to be oil changes only. Unless there is an AD the require inspection every 50 hours.

Exp: Some pipers had a 50 hr inspection due to a gaskett from an oil filter. Or something like that.

>> I read on another thread that 100hr inspections are not
>> required for rental aircraft. Is this true? When ARE 100hrs
>> required??

As stated in other thread, 100 hours are required for commercial purposes - rental or rent for flight instruction.

>> How does this extend to 50 hr inspections??

As stated, these are normal "oil change" markers. The only mandatory inspections less than 100hours would be by AD for the particular airplane or part on an airplane.

>> Are the requirments for non-profit flying clubs different?

Yes, flying clubs are "co-ownership" agreements. They are considered to be personal craft owned by multiple parties not associated with a commercial (for profit) enterprise.

>> If a 100 hr IS required, can you depart in an airplane
>> that will reach the 100 hour mark on your flight?

Only to return the airplane to a maintenance base where the inspection will take place. You can not exceed 10% or 10 hours of this inspection period for the ferry flight and any time over the 100 hour period will reduce the next period. Read the regs.

So if you follow the letter of the law, let's say you have 5.0 round trip X-C (2.5 out, 2.5 back) and you have an airplane with 97 hours into the 100hour inspection. Should you leave? Some lawyers will say yes, some say no. Technically, the 2.5 out is a perfectly legal flight and will leave you with 0.5 hours left on the 100hour clock. You then have a return trip to the home (maintenance) base of the airplane. You have now flown 102 hours since your last 100 hour. The plane goes to the shop, gets the inspection but will be restricted to 98 hours in this cycle. In my eyes there is nothing wrong with this scenario and saved you from a cancelled trip. You may not exceed the 10% rule though.

91.409(b)

"Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service. "

I think that answers all questions. Notice that a 100 hr. is required for instruction only if the instructor is providing the aircraft. Therefore a flight school's aircraft must have a 100 hr. But if you are giving someone instruction in THEIR aircraft, that aircraft does not need a 100hr.

Also you can overfly the 100 hr. requirement enroute, but the excess time must be applied to the next 100 hr. interval. This prevents operators from turing 100 hr's into 110 hr's.

I work at a flight school, and recently got my CFI. On my CFI ride, this question was brought up by the FSDO guy. A 100hr is required if carrying any person or property for hire OR if giving flight instruction in an airplane which you provide. Key word is flight instruction. To just rent the aircraft by yourself, a 100hr is NOT required. The only time it would be is if the school is providing you with an instructor. Now if you have your own instructor friend who goes with you and gives you dual, still NO 100hr is needed. The instructor would have to provide the aircraft for it to need a 100hr. The whole flying it over thing is pretty iffy, because it is designed to allow the aircraft to be flown to a maintaince base. Not so that if it has 2 hours left, and you wanna take a 6 hour trip. The FAA would not look too kindly on this i think. Now, the problem our school ran into with the whole 100hr thing is we fiqured we could run them over as long as we dont let them use one of our instructors, but as it turns out, a lot of these planes have recurring AD's every 100hr's. SO that kinda kills the idea.
Well, forgive my ramblings, its been a long day, and i still got 3 hours left.

Brad

Brad is correct on all counts (except gravity; it's an illousion and the rumor of a "law" is blown all out of proportion...everyone knows cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands butter side down. Tape some buttered toast to a cats feet, and throw the bundle in the air. It floats, because neither the cats back, nor the unbuttered side of the toast, can touch the ground).

A 50 hour is not a requirement, except by AD or an inspection program. Oil changes at 25 or 50 hour intervals are a very good idea, as are regular oil samples for analysis.

For what it's worth, I've found enough major items during regular 100 hour inspections that I firmly believe that an owner or operator would be a blazing idiot not to perform regular inspections at these intervals at a minimum. When performing a regular 50 hour, I prefer to inspect and check as much as possible.

Latest resources

Back