Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Is there any reason that all of the uniforms shirts I've found are a poly/cotton blend? I would prefer a 100% cotton wrinkly free pinpoint uniform shirt, at least I think I would.

I have plenty of 100% cotton wrinkle free dress shirts for my old desk job, why can't I have one to fly with?

Who makes 100% cotton shirts?

Why do many pilots wear poly/cotton blends? What are its benefits?

one reason is they withstand wrinkles a little better

don't know off the top of my head who sells 100% cotton shirts, most are cotton/poly blend

Landerwood are the best shirts on the market. I have a few from Van Hausen, and PilotShirts.com. Nothing compares tp the Landerwood.

So if the best shirts on the market are a cotton/poly blend, there is obviously good reason for the blend. Is it just because they withstand wrinkles better?

Crewgear has a 100% cotton pilot shirt thats tappered. It is a thick cotton oxford type with button down collar, it's tappered and has better pockets than most pilot shirts.
It's a very good quality shirt, but not as much of a dress shirt as some of the blended models without button down.

HEADWIND

The blended shirts give up the coffee stains in the washer easier than 100% cotton.TC

I always felt like the crewgear shirts were too tight under the arms. The Landerwood have better cuts. While Landerwood are good shirts, I've had three of them fall apart on a seam; two during regular wear, and one in the washer.

The landerwood left breast pocket is cut to put in a pair of sunglasses from the top, and if one wears a name tag or wings above that pocket, the pocket tends to bulge out a little. To do it right, one has to sew the pocket edge shut on top.

Otherwise, Landerwood probably gives the best shirt out there. Of course, thirty five bucks a shirt vs. twenty for a Van Heusen makes a difference.

About the only two shirts out there that have epaulets and button down collars are the Landerood and Crew Gear, and I prefer button down collars.

Cotton is also a lot closer to fire resistant than poly cotton, if that matters to you. It does, to me. Nothing like melted nylon mixed with flesh to make you rethink your policy on clothing...for months and months on end. Just a thought.

avbug said:
Cotton is also a lot closer to fire resistant than poly cotton, if that matters to you. It does, to me. Nothing like melted nylon mixed with flesh to make you rethink your policy on clothing...for months and months on end. Just a thought.

I agree with that. In addition I prefer the coolness of a 100% cotton shirt, as well as just the feel of it. I've never been impressed with the comfort/feel of a crew shirt. I'll see what my new company offers, then check out what you've recommended.

Gracias

Latest resources

Back