100,000 feet in a BALLOON?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyWestCRJPilot said:
I understand when the guy jumped out of the ballon he had a drag chute to keep him from tumbling in the thin air. It didn't work and he tumbled and tumbled and was worried he would lose consciousness...
To add to your story, the reason he was fighting to stay concious was because he was wearing a full pressure suit (similar to the Mercury astronauts - or Mark IV for you in the know) and the helmet ring became dislodged, and was being pressed into his neck, essentially cutting off the air supply. He fought and fought to reposition it, but he was free falling so quickly that he was unable to dislodge it. One way or the other he managed to stave off unconciousness until he reached thicker air and was able to resolve the problem.

msuspartans24 said:
A friend of mine says he read somewhere that a manned balloon has reached 100,000 feet. Anyone know if there is any truth to this.
Why would that surprise you? Pinnacle did 41,000 in a glider!

I thought there was some hype about three years ago that a lady was looking at beating Kittenger's freefall?

Last edited:
There was/is a couple of people talking about beating kittinger's record. I heard from someone involved that the two big problems were money of course no one wanted to sponser it. And governments aren't to keen on selling or loaning out spacesuits.

Crimson03 said:
There was/is a couple of people talking about beating kittinger's record. I heard from someone involved that the two big problems were money of course no one wanted to sponser it. And governments aren't to keen on selling or loaning out spacesuits.
Not only that, in space no one can hear you scream! :eek:

Crimson03 said:
And governments aren't to keen on selling or loaning out spacesuits.
That shouldn't be too big of a problem, cause you can buy bonafide space-ready suits from the Soviet space program all day long for as little as $15,000 a piece. You just have to know who to talk to - which isn't that difficult to do if you really want to obtain one.

User997 said:
That shouldn't be too big of a problem, cause you can buy bonafide space-ready suits from the Soviet space program all day long for as little as $15,000 a piece. You just have to know who to talk to - which isn't that difficult to do if you really want to obtain one.
Always look at the brighter side of things! Not only is that a great value in a space suit, you never know when you might need a metric body bag.

The guy I spoke with claimed getting a usable russian suit hadn't worked out. They probably didn't find the right guy. I don't know why they don't just call the EAA I'm sure they could whip something up.

Latest resources

Back