• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

10 year Airline Hiring History

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where do you get your info from? The FL housing market in not a litmus test for the rest of the country. There are select parts of the country that have seen the appreciation in home prices that FL has seen. California, Vegas, Phoenix to name a few. Most other areas have seen home prices increase from 4-10% annually. No housing bubble here in ATL and we have had one of the fastest growing cities/economies in the U.S. over the past 25 years. Personal debt has been high in the U.S for 30 years. Our problem is the amount of debt foreign countries own, thus having control over us as does any lender. Stick to flying airplanes Francis. The economy is not your gig!

Now we can agree on something.:beer:

When regionals start offering 2nd yr pay 1st yr, I'll believe the shortage BS.

YV is paying double-time for us to pick up uncovered flying. this means a 15yr. Freedumb-A CA on the 900 is making more than a 15yr. 747 FO who was dmoted from 767 CA after 911. Funny, if they would build an adequate number of lines they could eliminate most of te uncovered flying, but then they'd have to hire more pilots and that would mean increased medical benefits, etc... When the floodgates open at the majors it will be interesting to see how long this company survives when it's staffing drops from 1,400 to the 400 company boys that will want to keep helping out jonny O and friends.

I've been telling the negotiating committee to start the pay scales at double-time pay on our next contract, since the company seems to be ablel to afford it, but I doubt it will happen. Meanwhile, I'm going to take my meager 8 days off a month and bybass the volunteering of the open flying.

Heyas,

So it begins.

Southwest Air warns of softening demand:
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/artic...3-06_16-37-12_N06193623&type=comktNews&rpc=44

We all know that the airlines are the first affected by a bad economy, and the last to recover. A drop off in discretionary travel is usually the first warning sign of rough times ahead.

When the king of the discounters starts making warnings, it might be time to use some economic caution.

Remember that a large amount of the consistent, high yield business traffic has moved away from the airlines to the fractionals, making the effects of a drop off in lesuire travel much worse. The benefits from the peaks aren't as high, and the valleys are much lower.

Nu

JP Morgan's Baker said the weakness was a reflection of poor forecasting by Southwest rather than a sign of a broader drop-off in demand.
"We see little to suggest Southwest's warnings will spill over to other discount carrier(s)," he said.
Southwest has one of the lowest load factors in the industry. American Airlines (AMR.N: Quote, Profile , Research), for instance, had a February load factor of 76.5 percent, up 1.5 points from the same month last year.

Latest resources

Back