Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vicman

who's your Kuya ?!?
I know someone who's got his apps out to a variety of 135/91 outfits (corporate), he's a retired 744 driver and flew with several asian airlines. My jaw dropped when i saw that he had logged 10,000 hours of IFR. (that's half of his 22,000 TT).

I know that US Airline pilots typically use the 10% rule of thumb! Yes you try to log as much actual in the beginning (while time building), and scale it down to 10% once you start flying the line (correct me if i'm wrong)!!

1. would this raise concern for the HR folks and possibly be a cause for disqual? (granted that there are numerous factors for disqual)

2. OR...is 10,000 IFR a possibility given that most of his flying was pond-hopping (night flying over the ocean).

your opinions please.........

the whole instrument time thing has more arguments that I can count.. Night flying over a moonless ocean, actual looged as PIC/SIC and so on.. The 10% rule is a "general" qualifier.

I have seen a few people (in the regionals) denied because thier IMC time was 20% or better. I have seen a few questioned a bit more if it was over 15%.

Then again if you fly the east coast in the winter or over in the SEA/TAC area it is very possible to rack up tons of legit IMC time. If your a night frieght dog on those moonless nights it can be counted too.

It all depends on your approach and how intent the HR people (or pilots) really look into it.

I know of a guy who insists that because he is filed IFR he can log all of the time as Instrument. :eek:

Can't begin to tell you how many people have thought he was joking when he told them. Then upon the realization that he wasn't, tried to explain to him why he couldn't do it. I think we've all given up by now.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some of his interviews, he's been to a few, but as of yet still hasn't moved on... hmm.. wonder why. :rolleyes:

In reality, after you have a couple thousand hours, NO ONE CARES how many Instrument Hours you have, because, whatever you have is enough.

JetPilot500 said:
In reality, after you have a couple thousand hours, NO ONE CARES how many Instrument Hours you have, because, whatever you have is enough.

Ahh, the voice of common sense. I was wondering when someone would point out the obvious. Thanks JP 500.

PS. Get the snow shovels out and ready, it should be headed your way in about 24 hrs. Currently KAPA is under about 6 inches of the white stuff.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!!!

BTW, magic 8 ball says Broncos 30, Bears 20.

I believe that those that are flying under ICAO log flight time while operating on an IFR flight plan log instrument time.

Their idea of instrument is on an IFR flight plan.

Our idea of instrument time is actual.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back