• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1,372 Pilots Needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't confuse the current atmosphere at SkyWest with stability. I like working at SkyWest, I LOVE it! I worked at Mesa and know how truly bad it can get.

But think about this, all it takes is Uncle Chip and Gerry getting just a tad bit greedy round x-mas and raiding the books, or them having a skiing accident, or whatever!
! and we have some corporate goon brought in by a creditor and we're toast.

WE DON'T HAVE A CONTRACT!

I repeat, WE DON'T HAVE A CONTRACT!

I'm sorry, but this is a serious job, a serious career, and my future. I'm going to protect it.

Make no mistake, I will work inside the union to make the relationship a healthy one, and make SkyWest stronger. But we need this guys/girls. We NEED THIS!

People at union airlines do get fired. The difference is that there needs to be documentation or outright negligence/criminal activity before it gets to that point. The union has a duty of fair representation for everyone who is a bargaining unit regardless of whether they are dues paying members. Sometimes its a matter making sure the punishment fits the crime. The company may want to fire someone for something that they clearly did wrong but may not merit being fired. This is where the union will try to get the person to be suspended rather than to be fired. There are many other examples like getting management to allow the pilot to resign instead or resign and be rehired, etc. There are always those guys who do deserve to be fired. And eventually they do get fired. Its not like nobody gets fired at union airlines.

I think new guys appreciate the terminations. There's a little bit of an invincibility complex that makes them say "It'll never happen to me. And for all the unfortunate pilots that do get canned, well... that's just one more number I just went up."

A union is like insurance, you only wish you had it when you need it.

Latest resources

Back