Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you go to Brazil for a flying job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sir Humpalot

A buddy of mine is able to get me a job in Brazil flying heavy machinery . Although that sounds great, how difficult is it coming back to the good ol' US airlines after getting quality time overseas. I know the pay sucks cold turkey but am willing to live in poverty for the jet time. My question is,...do regionals or majors look down upon you if you went overseas for jobs?
I posted this message on a different board so it might be repititious.

thanx

Foreign flying

If you like adventure, I'd bet it would be that and more!!

Your "buddy" would build some excellent experience that surely should be marketable to someone - once hiring resumes. I've read of people who take a contract job flying in the Middle East or in Singapore and get hired.

I know that downsides include such things as strange foreign airport officials and questionable maintenance.

I've heard somewhere that some foreign-earned income may be tax-free, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure others will know for sure.

While he's still around, Captain Mac at Flight Crews International regularly lists foreign airline jobs.

Good luck with your decision

sir humpalot. hehe

my school had an instructor from brazil. i actually kind of considered the same. he said he could get a heavy job with 600 hours. i guess they think highly of us trained pilots.

anyway, don't know anything about it and i would appreciate some info. where are you looking?

i do know that the cost of living is incredible down there. apparently you can live pretty well on next to nothing. good luck man.

starvingcfi

what about the language barrier? do you speak Portugese? or does the ATC speak English overthere? I could prolly swing it in TexMex...but Portugese is a different beast

as far as i know ICAO rules are for all ATC communications to be done in english. But I am still a learning student so take that with a grain of salt.

U-I pilot said:
as far as i know ICAO rules are for all ATC communications to be done in english. But I am still a learning student so take that with a grain of salt.

Guess yew've nevar flown to Canada, n00b

Then tell me how it is out there in the bright scary world beyond the US ADIZ.....Inform on the ways of the world so that when I one day urge to fly interesting places I can with useful knowledge :p

U-I pilot said:
Then tell me how it is out there in the bright scary world beyond the US ADIZ.....Inform on the ways of the world so that when I one day urge to fly interesting places I can with useful knowledge :p

I don't know...try yer local CFI...he needs werk, tew...I am just lurking

Recently spent some time traveling around Brazil. You won't need much money to live well down there. The dollar goes a long way in Brazil. Flew quite a bit on the domestic carriers and was very impressed with the service and the equipement used. In many ways they are better than us when it comes to domestic short haul flights. Oh yeah, one more thing, the women down there are absolutely gorgeous.

If I were you I woud do it in a heartbeat. I'll tell you what my first overseas job led to. After three years flying an MD-80 in Taiwan I was hired by a major aircraft manufacturer as an instructor which led to job offers as a check airman at another foreign airline.

I opted to go back to the major I was furloughed from, which was a good decision at the time. Now furloughed again, I am going to yet another foreign airline next month.

Flying overseas is not for everybody and certainly not for some of the jingoistic posters on this board. Living overseas is a great life experience but it is not the same as living in the States. There are definite differences in culture that you will have to adapt to since it is their country that you are in. If you are open minded and capable of adapting then fitting in is not that hard.

As for how airlines in the states percieve your flight time. Jet time is jet time, no matter where it comes from. In fact it will probably make you a much better pilot. The facilities overseas don't normally compare to those in the states. You will often time be non-radar shooting NDB approaches or DME-Arcs to a VOR approach. Not to sure about the particulars of Brazil, but I bet it would be similar.

Good Luck,

Typhoonpilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back