• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst Weather

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never understood pilots trying to eyeball weather once your up there. If your IMC and crossing a line TRUST YOUR RADAR. If you are uncomfortable with it, ask someone with plenty of experience to educate you. Good luck!

thanks

Just curious what ways most of you avoid the weather? The radar on the ERJ is horrible. Don't trust it at all.

Having been flying the airplane for the last 6 years, I agree 100%. It would be fine on a slower moving, lower altitude aircraft, but it just doesn't have enough range/power to be useful when you really need it.

Forget getting returns on anything but the biggest, nastiest of storms, and during the seasonal transition with the low freezing level you might as well leave it off. I know I've gotten radar envy on the commute home and watching the Airbus/737 paint every little thing thats out there.

As for the worst weather, my experience is limited to north America, so I really can't say. Everywhere east of the rockies sure does seem to get a lot of variety though, from blizzards to tornadoes.

Say a TRW over DAL w/tops at 70,000 ft once. Got called out for a trip right then too. Told them to stick it until that crap blew over.

Having been flying the airplane for the last 6 years, I agree 100%. It would be fine on a slower moving, lower altitude aircraft, but it just doesn't have enough range/power to be useful when you really need it.

Forget getting returns on anything but the biggest, nastiest of storms, and during the seasonal transition with the low freezing level you might as well leave it off. I know I've gotten radar envy on the commute home and watching the Airbus/737 paint every little thing thats out there.

As for the worst weather, my experience is limited to north America, so I really can't say. Everywhere east of the rockies sure does seem to get a lot of variety though, from blizzards to tornadoes.

I know the radar envy well. I have asked to sit jumpseat just to see how well their radar works. I have found myself following bigger aircraft through weather on TCAS.

What type of radar do you guys have in the RJ?

Honeywell Primus 660. 10" composite dish, 10w of power, 90 degree sweep. Common in business jets, other smaller turbine aircraft with limited nosecone space.

Compared to the latest Honeywell RDR-4B on Boeing/Airbus products, with up to 180 degree sweep, 24"-36" dish, and 150w of power. (info from a quick google search)

Thanks, I thought it was the same one we have on our Lr45. Havent seen the brand new Honeywell system but thought the 660 worked great. I've been flying with the prehistoric Collins equipment previously so the 660 is light-years better than anything i've used before.

Latest resources

Back