World Pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
One of the World MD-11's I saw parked on the ramp has a RED paint job - - nice classic look. I haven't seen that paint job before. Is it a new paint job, or an old one?

It's a new old one.

I'm in ATL right now, just a few blocks from their ramp and I work with someone who knows someone who dated someone who's brother works for World. Or was it Omni? Come to think of it, it was Gemini.
Sorry!!

last time I was in atlanta , I ended up on a mountain in Maine

TC

That paint job is the classic World paint job from the days when Daley owned the airlline. It was painted for the flight back to Ho Chi Mihn city (Saigon) to commemorate operation babylift that Daley and World started to get orphans out of saigon before the fall of South Vietnam. Do a search there is some great history and archives ononline about this event and the crew that made it happen. Its stuff you can write abook about. World has a rich history and its still an intersting place to work................

TonyC said:
I spent the day in Atlanta, and I saw several World MD-11's - - one taxiing on E, and 2 parked on north cargo.

One of the World MD-11's I saw parked on the ramp has a RED paint job - - nice classic look. I haven't seen that paint job before. Is it a new paint job, or an old one?

MD11Drvr said:
TC

That paint job is the classic World paint job from the days when Daley owned the airlline. It was painted for the flight back to Ho Chi Mihn city (Saigon) to commemorate operation babylift ...
Ahhhhhh. That would explain the Classic look and the fresh paint. That's what confused me. It looked old and new at the same time. I'm glad I got the chance to see it.

Thanks for the explanation, MD11Drvr!

:)

MD11Drvr said:
TC

That paint job is the classic World paint job from the days when Daley owned the airlline. It was painted for the flight back to Ho Chi Mihn city (Saigon) to commemorate operation babylift that Daley and World started to get orphans out of saigon before the fall of South Vietnam. Do a search there is some great history and archives ononline about this event and the crew that made it happen. Its stuff you can write abook about. World has a rich history and its still an intersting place to work................

Is it true that Delta paid for that paint job because they did not like the fact that the aircraft still looked very Delta?

I agree, World has a very interesting history. Daley was right there among the crew facing bullets and granades to get that flight in and out.

As a line dog I was not privvy to that meeting where they decided who paid. I don't think so though but its a good rumor.

Yea Daley was an interesting character. The old timers talk about how you had to be fired and rehired to really work for him.

Wing Overheat said:
Is it true that Delta paid for that paint job because they did not like the fact that the aircraft still looked very Delta?

I agree, World has a very interesting history. Daley was right there among the crew facing bullets and granades to get that flight in and out.

Latest resources

Back