Work for Southwest as ramper..then pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

I'm thinking of applying at Southwest as a ramper while I'm in college. Does anyone know if they have a system to transfer up as a pilot (once you graduate, get your commercial)? Do you still have to meet the 1000 turbine -- I think that would be impossible to do while still working at Southwest. I understand UA used to have a special transfer scheme when they were hiring with reduced minimums perhaps.

Thanks,
Sean

I have a few friends who worked as rampers, flight attendants, etc. at SWA, who are currently flying for the regionals. They still have to meet SWA's mins (1,000 turbine pic, etc) before applying. They did keep in touch with several contacts at SWA, which will help if and when they are going to apply for a flying position.

SWA doesn't have any kind of special transfer scheme to hire pilots with lower time, who already work there on a non flying position.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

I am a former SWA FA, currently flying a Sabreliner, and can say that SWA doesn't have any type of program for former employees. It is really to bad, bc, SWA is where I would like to end up. I can say that any job at the Co. would be good and will look good on a resume. It will also allow you to meet and get to know some cool people who can help you down the road. Anything you can do to help yourself stand out in the interview will help, and being a past employee will look good. Unless of course, you were a bad emplyoee!! Good luck, SWA is a cool place to be.

In my observation, working for an airline in a non-flying position doesn't help a whole lot in getting a job. It certainly doesn't hurt. I'd focus on getting a job working the desk or the ramp of an FBO you want to instruct at and the biggest thing is to do a college internship with the airline you want to work for. Doing a 'future pilot' intership will do a lot more for you than throwing bags for a year.

Good luck,

Scott

True, there are no special exceptions or 'bridge programs' for internals. There are several former rampers who I personally know that are now Captains though.

If you want this as a job while going to college consider this:
being a ramper, and a junior one at that, may be fun and have great benefits but it is a full time position. You can also be juniored to work on your days off if there is no coverage for open shifts. If you want to get days off by having others work for you it may be difficult depending on the station. If there is a lot of overtime, it will be hard. If not, then it will be a breeze.

While I was working side jobs at a DZ and ferrying, it was sometimes hard to get the time off I needed to fly. Good thing I was senior with a great shift or I would never have had Sat & Sun available to fly. The free flight benefits made me a great choice for a ferry pilot though!

While SWA is great with awesome benefits and flexability (usually), I can say that being a ramper really won't help you much in your flying career. However, if you have a good history with the company and are qualified later, you will get kudos for that. VP Jim Wimberly has known about my flying while working the ramp over the years and says he hopes to see me come back. Thank goodness I had an excellent record or I might have been totally out of a job when I got furloughed, but he was happy to have me back.

Do consider getting a GA type of job to help you develop the connections you will need to get time building jobs. Down the line that is what will really get you in the door at SWA or any place else!

Starting at the bottom

I knew of someone who started at Continental at a ground job. It might have been baggage. In the meantime, while building a track record with Continental, he finished his ratings, built time, got on with COEX in the northeast (it might have been Bar Harbor), and finally was hired as a pilot at Continental. I'm sure that having worked there helped him.

I don't know if doing the same thing will help at Southwest. But, if you are a good worker with a good attitude and can collect LORs, you may have an advantage over someone with identical quals who never worked there.

It seemed to work for me and a few of my buds. I worked on the ramp at AA while going to college and learning to fly. I smashed bags for a little more than five years all the while earning a degree and all of my certs, ratings and building time. I was not alone, there were about 5 of us pursuing a flying career in LA. 2 went to Eagle, now with UAL and Polar. I left AA (with handfulls of recomendations from managers, pilots, and chiefs) for a 135 bizjet operator and about 6 years later I cashed those in and was fortunate enough to get back on at AA as a pilot. Among my total time I had some 4000 hours of jet, 2800 of which was jet PIC. I feel that my time spent at AA as a ramp tramp and the schmoozing with the crewmembers and the chiefs played a big part in getting my well qualified resume/app to the top of the heap. Some may say that's BS that I had an edge. But there is one thing that I learned very early on in life....if you want something....go get it. And I did. Since getting on with AA I have flown with guys that have been flying for AA for 10, 15, 20-25 years who turned wrenches, drove the ice cream truck (lav truck), or were F/A's and fellow rampers at AA. It can be done. Good luck.

Take-Off Program

Although it isn't the kind of program you had hoped for, SWA does offer something for those who hope to fly for Southwest someday: the Take Off Program.

Basically, the flight operations recruiters (Amy Webb & Lilah Steen) run this 'pilot mentoring' program. Interested pilots sign up and once they have begun "to build fixed wing turbine PIC time, will move into the Final Approach group where a Southwest pilot will serve as a mentor." They offer info at SWA career fairs.

The company will provide you a pilot mentor as a point of contact to "build a relationship with" and "gain knowledge from their experiences".

Not sure exactly the direction this program will take, but at least it's a start. Since I never got any of that turbine PIC, I am still in the "cleared for departure" group, but they do check up on your career progress as I got a call not too long ago. For those who presently qualify, it will surely look great to the hiring board as a participant.

:D

I don't know about SW but a guy I used to work with in 1998 applied and worked as a part-time ramper for AA. He said they had a program that would guarantee him an interview after 1 year employment (he already met their flight requirements and flew with us full time). It was a hard job, especially since he flew full-time with us. A bunch of us thought he was crazy. Boy, were we ever surprised when he got the interview and invite to AA just over one year later.

He already had the flight time. That's what I'd try to build if I were in your shoes. Later on, when you're competitive and have a hard time getting that interview, it might be an option to consider.

How do become ramper?

How does one become a ramper?
Do you have to attend a 2-4 week training sesson at SWA's headquaters ?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back