• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WN will do anything for a buck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Should have kept the money AND charged them for the return flight. And the parents should make the girl pay for the return ticket.

But the fact is that these 3 kids and their families will prolly have lifetime travel benies from now on.

Gup

Way, way back in about 8th grade or so, we all had to take a basic laws & civics class. I recall something about financial dealings & contracts entered into with minors were not valid, and the parents could demand a refund of all monies if a business entered into a financial agreement with a minor. I don't recall the specifics, though, but there were exceptions if the product was a consumable... I think. (I just don't remember the specifics). Something about if a child bought a candy bar and ate it, no refund was due, but if a child bought a car and drove it, 100% refund was due with no allowance for wear & tear, loss of value, etc.

So... maybe SWA refunded the money because they realized that legally they weren't allowed to enter into the agreement in the first place? Or, is airline travel considered a consumable product from a legal standpoint? I don't know the answer.

On another note, how did kids today become so sheltered? I remember in the 70's and 80's being MUCH more independent than kids today (traveling alone without any Unaccompanied Minor programs on connecting flights across oceans, going out to play and not coming home until the street lights came on, using buses and trains to take day trips in the summer to nearby cities & amusement parks).

Southwest doing anything for a buck?

No kidding? They even charge their employees to work there.
I sure hope the feds are taking a good look at this shabby operation. They need to be shut down NOW!

Now I have to admit I wasn't exactly splitting atoms when I was a kid but how stupid do you have to be to buy a ticket without the funds to get back home?

That is what parents are for! :laugh:

Just my opinion!

ps. The parents should take the money they used for the tickets and put it thier college fund since they obviously have too much free cash to play with!

On another note, how did kids today become so sheltered? I remember in the 70's and 80's being MUCH more independent than kids today (traveling alone without any Unaccompanied Minor programs on connecting flights across oceans, going out to play and not coming home until the street lights came on, using buses and trains to take day trips in the summer to nearby cities & amusement parks).

Maybe it has something to do with all the Amber Alerts and every time you turn on CNN, there's a kid snatched from some trailer park in Florida. The media has conditioned the public that the world is a dangerous place for children. Are there really more instances of child abduction now than there were 30 years ago? I doubt it. In fact, there's probably LESS due to quick dissemination of information nowadays. I used to do many of the things you listed when I was a kid and not even think twice. Now, whenever I see a 9 year old walking home from school alone, I shudder to think how quickly the child could disappear in this "sick" world we live in. Never underestimate the power of perception.

Maybe it has something to do with all the Amber Alerts and every time you turn on CNN, there's a kid snatched from some trailer park in Florida. The media has conditioned the public that the world is a dangerous place for children. Are there really more instances of child abduction now than there were 30 years ago? I doubt it. In fact, there's probably LESS due to quick dissemination of information nowadays. I used to do many of the things you listed when I was a kid and not even think twice. Now, whenever I see a 9 year old walking home from school alone, I shudder to think how quickly the child could disappear in this "sick" world we live in. Never underestimate the power of perception.

I read somewhere recently that there are an average of 3 child abductions per year in the U.S. not committed by a family member or friend. 3 out of 300,000,000.

I also found that most crime statistics (murders, car theft, etc.) are less than half today what they were in 1972.

So why do we all think we live in a much more dangerous society than when we were kids? (I think you already answered this question.)

It's easy to control a society that lives in fear by offering them solutions to manufactured needs arising from that fear.

When people find out I don't have a cell phone the immediate response is "OMG... what if there's an emergency!"

Create the fear...create the solution.

The solution always being a means to an end to line someone's pockets, manage your behavior, or both.

Like Lemmings to the Sea....And Sheep to the slaughter.

YKMKR

I read somewhere recently that there are an average of 3 child abductions per year in the U.S. not committed by a family member or friend. 3 out of 300,000,000.

I also found that most crime statistics (murders, car theft, etc.) are less than half today what they were in 1972.

So why do we all think we live in a much more dangerous society than when we were kids? (I think you already answered this question.)

Dude. 3 child abductions per year.... 3 out of 300,000,000? There are just over 300 million people in the U.S. but there weren't 300,000,000 abductions last year... If you start out with these kinds of mismatched statistical comparisons then how can we accept your statistical analysis of 1972 compared to today?

Latest resources

Back