• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ajhbubs84

Oh, that's my manpon
Had no clue where to post this....

What type of a/c are used in the television show Wings? (early '90s on NBC)
Just saw a preview for an episode airing on TV Land. I kind of forgot about the show and the preview got me wondering.

Typical hollywood had numerous aircraft in numerous shots.... Sounds of jet noise from the interior with props on the wings, that sort of thing.

I think the plane that was most common was a 400 series Cessna. Something like what Cape Air has.

Sorry, pretty vague answer I guess-

It was a Cessna 402C, it's actually one of the planes I fly now. Hauling freight now, but it has a little history which is kinda cool.

Typical hollywood had numerous aircraft in numerous shots....

I see. Like in most movies. ie..When they show the cast departing in a 747 and arriving in a DC-10. Gotcha.

It was a while back, and before my aviation days. Thought they might have focused a little more on the a/c.

I believe the aircraft used in the opening sequence was N121PB which is a Cape Air Cessna 402.

Edited portion:

Here is what I found on the Internet Movie Database:

"The aircraft in the opening and closing credits (N121PB) is still in use with Cape Air Airlines of Hyannis, Massachusetts. One of Cape Air's primary destinations in its New England operation (they also operate in Florida, the Caribbean, and Micronesia) is, in fact, Nantucket. This particular aircraft exclusively serves the New England market, so on any given day it is probably flying in and out of Nantucket. When filmed for the credits, 121PB was in the livery of the now-defunct Express Air of New Bedford, Massachusetts. Shortly after the filming, it became the property of Cape Air and has been used in that airline's service ever since. Prior to Express Air, it was in service for Provincetown-Boston Airlines (hence the PB in the registration), which went out of business the year before Cape Air started."

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098948/trivia

Last edited:
I have wings on DVD.

Interesting in most of the shots it is "121PP" and they refer to it as such when they are pretending to talk on the radio. I think they just taped over part of the "B" to make it a "P". There are a few shots where you can see that it is 121PB. As NEDude said it is still in service with Cape Air.

That was a great video shot, looked real pretty.

I think if you look hard at the plane they used in their "hangar" shots, it might have been an old 411. Engine have humps like it was a geared engine, but the fuselage was not a 402.

Good show, enjoyed it. I understand Huck's is closing, what's the scoop?

Hung

You are correct sir.

I looked up 121PP on the aircraft registry... it was previously assigned to a 411 owned by Paramount Pictures Corporation. The registration was cancelled in 1996 and the reason given as "destroyed". The registration is currently reserved by "Sandpiper Leasing Corporation" (Sandpiper Air was the name of the fictional airline on Wings).

160PB was also one of the planes used on wings, it actually said Sandpiper Air on the side when we puchased it. I was told they used a couple planes for most of the show.

Last edited:
were did you get the show on dvd? I used to stay up till 3a to watch reruns on nick@nite?

Latest resources

Back