Winglets on 757-300s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

What's the holdup on retrofitting the 757-300s with winglets. Why is the 200 approved for winglet modification while the 300 is not?

Requires an a/c to be out of commission for about a month to complete the certification and no one has been able to let them use one of their 300's for that long. It is the same mod as the 200 but it has to be certified before they can be used.

I thought it was because the wing loading is already so high. Same reason we can't get them on the 737-900's

Just wondering how the 900 ER can have them if the 900 can not. I think it is just the way they were certified. I may be wrong but I would not see how adding a winglet in that form would increase wing loading. Just because you add it would not automatically mean an increase in max gross weight but at least better fuel efficiency.

I thought it was because the wing loading is already so high. Same reason we can't get them on the 737-900's

One thought might be that there are only around 55 757-300 to almost a 1,000 757-200. The customer base might not be there for the -300 or the cost of development over 55 airframes is a lot higher.

-celloman

You better call Boeing first thing Monday morning, if not sooner and tell them about the wing thingy because they are down to the short strokes on certification of the first B737-900ER and guess what........it has winglets!

You better call Boeing first thing Monday morning, if not sooner and tell them about the wing thingy because they are down to the short strokes on certification of the first B737-900ER and guess what........it has winglets!

This definitely wouldn't be the first time that what I heard was wrong!!!!:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back