Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
After hearing about the AA 757s getting winglets, I started wondering if that will ease up on the wake turbulence they create. Anyone have a guess?

I'm gonna say no....but that's coming from a Cessna driver (172s)....

Why they going to winglets? Fuel efficiency?

-mini

minitour said:
I'm gonna say no....but that's coming from a Cessna driver (172s)....

Why they going to winglets? Fuel efficiency?

-mini

Well, I'd say the winglets increase aspect ratio and reduce drag as a result of vortices, so they reduce the vortices...

They may reduce the drag, look @ the difference between the 747-100 & the -400 though. Even with the winglets you better be a dot high on g/s when behind a -400!

Knob said:
They may reduce the drag, look @ the difference between the 747-100 & the -400 though. Even with the winglets you better be a dot high on g/s when behind a -400!

Well sure, but even though they redeuce vortices, still pay them head as I do. Winglets save 3-5% on fuel, so easy math says they reduce drag by that or less and hence the vortices are reduced by ONLY that 3-5%, so still be careful.

they will reduce the wake turbulence. wake turbulence is a function of weight and wingspan. If you increase the wingspan(add winglets), then the vortexes will be reduced.

scoreboard said:
Well, I'd say the winglets increase aspect ratio and reduce drag as a result of vortices, so they reduce the vortices...

yes, but the question "will it ease up on the wake turbulence?" I still say no.

Again, coming from a Cessna guy....my 172 isn't gonna just go "oh...winglets....smoooooooth flyin" I'm still gonna have to be (as was said) a dot higher on approach.

-mini

minitour said:
yes, but the question "will it ease up on the wake turbulence?" I still say no.

Again, coming from a Cessna guy....my 172 isn't gonna just go "oh...winglets....smoooooooth flyin" I'm still gonna have to be (as was said) a dot higher on approach.

-mini
Vortices = Wake Turbulence. As mentioned, winglets are designed to dampen vortices to give the effect of an increased aspect ratio, which means less induced drag. Less vorticies = less wake turbulence because they are the same thing. Now is it enough to make a difference to your 172 if you fly through the wake of a 757? I seriously doubt it....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back