Will United pursue AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

Now that AirTran is no longer in the running for Midwest Airlines, what next? Everyone knows that AirTran has over 60 new 737-700s on order. Atlanta is mostly tapped out as far as gates are concerned. Point to point on the east coast is mostly saturated. AirTran needs a new hub and a new hub very soon to place all of those airplanes. As all the rumors keep floating, AirTran could be setting its sights on Frontier. That could trigger another bidding war. This time United may try to protect its hub in Denver and potentially pickup a southern tier hub they so covet and new airplanes at a premium. Now that the legacies are strong again, they will protect their turf. Frontier is limping, but with AirTran as a possible suitor it could be revitalized. United may see that as an opportunity to offer AirTran some doe to prevent moving into Denver and United gaining a foot hold in the southeast. Washington Dulles could be used for European expansion and Atlanta feeding United routes up and down the east coast and orlando feeding the carribean, central and south america. Hmmm....things may get interesting. What do you guys think.....have fun and be nice!

Last edited:
United doesn't have any "doe" (dough) to be able to afford us.

And, for the love of God, I HOPE we don't try some half-ass*d merger with United.

Would have to print up more "NO" stickers. ;)

Frontier would be good... for their route structure.
Alaska would be pretty cool, too, although I don't think we're on their radar at all.

But what do I know...? :)

Christ, I hope not . . . . . UAL's management couldn't run a Starbucks. . . . . . . and as for the clash of pilot cultures, well, the movie "Trading Places" comes to mind, although Winthorp and Billy Ray Valentine did link up in the end to "sock it to the man". . . . . maybe it's not such a bad idea . . .

United doesn't have any "doe" (dough) to be able to afford us.

Except for 5 BILLION dollars in cash..
Amazing what slashing the payroll and not paying one's bills does for the bottom line

Of course they still have NO PLAN AND NO CLUE

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back