Why Pilots Don't Get Hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinhigh21

Is there anyone here who conducts interviews or is involoved in the hiring process at any airline? I was wondering if we could compile a list of some of the top reasons that pilots who interview don't get hired. I am going to be preparing in the coming months, and would like a little input, if possible.

Spiky hair, ipod, and a backpack.

It's the same reasons that people don't get hired for any job. Some people are just not good at interviewing, Their after someone who can fit in with the people and culture at the company. Representing your experience can be like walking a fine line, you don't want to be and arrogant a#$ but you also don't want to appear unsure of your skills / abilities.

I almost forgot, if the HR chick has a huge rack don't stare.

Reasons Pilots Don't Get Hired

1. They wear a black suit.

2. The water mark on their resume paper does not line up with the text on the resume.

3. They have white out in their logbook.

4. There is an addition mistake in their logbook.

5. They have a speeding ticket.

6. They didn't type their application.

7. The receptionist didn't like them.

8. They showed up too late.

9. They showed up too early.

10. They have a "dead fish" handshake.

PS. If you believe any of these, chances are you are so nervous you won't get hired.

I interviewed at two different airlines, was hired by both, and chose the one I'm with. Both started with a group of around 10 pilots. One person in each group for some reason did not wear a suit and was dismissed almost immediately. Seems like a no brainer but evidently it happens. Wear a suit! Doesn't matter much what it looks like but it's important to be wearing one.

Also, know your technical information so you can answer questions but then realize that really only counts for about 20% of the interview. Personality is really what can make the interview. Do look at the gouge on aviationinterviews.com. Think about the HR questions on there and talk yourself through a short story or event that can relate the answer to the interviewer. You don't want to talk them to death but if you can display some personality and a little life experience in your answers it will go a long way toward getting hired. The interviewer expects you to be nervous so don't worry too much about that. You especially don't want to be poker faced to try to hide your nervousness because you will hide your personality as well. If you can find a way to laugh (without being goofy) and at least get a smile out of the interviewer you are on the right track. Remember, they are people just like you so if you get them thinking about you in a positive way you should get the job. Good luck!

1. Saying they would take (fight over) the controls at 200 feet if the captain did not execute a go-around at DA with no runway after they had called for a go-around.

2. Having no real life experience and being unable to answer the "tell me about a time that..." questions.

3. Shady background. (College dropout, speeding tickets, arrests, being fired from a job...)

Bottom line: Be likeable.

Since most folks who get called in for an interview are considered preliminarily qualified, the likeability factor plays a huge role. When you have two equally qualified candidates, the one who the interviewer finds more socially appealing will get the job.

Bottom line: Be likeable.

Since most folks who get called in for an interview are considered preliminarily qualified, the likeability factor plays a huge role. When you have two equally qualified candidates, the one who the interviewer finds more socially appealing will get the job.
Well, you're screwed!

Latest resources

Back