Why doesn't Gulfstream...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

The airplane manufacturer, not the airline!!

Why doesn't Gulfstream make a regional jet? They could modify the basic design a little and sell some airplanes. They would have to be better than those Bombardier and Embraer junkers.

Maybe it's not feasible, but I thought it would be an interesting question to ask.

Last edited:
Competition

I'd say it's because Canadair and Embraer had the foresight to see the market and lock it up. Compare it to Convair creating the 880 after Boeing and Douglas sewed up the new four-engine jet market of the '50s with the 707 and DC-8.

I don't think quality matters that much to the airlines. They'll look for whatever is cheap to purchase, cheap to maintain, cheap to operate, and easy to own. For all we know, Canadair and Embraer have liberal lease-back and mortgage plans.

Good question. Better attention-getter. :D

Chawbein,

Gulfstream would be out of their element building airliners. The Challenger was basically a miniature airliner to begin with (fat fuselage). It just needed to be lengthened. (I don't think I'd call the CRJ a "junker" either. "Smile when ya say that, pardner...")

Gulfstreams are good airplanes. They're built like tanks.

Tanks don't carry many passengers.

Latest resources

Back