• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

why does it take so long?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The new hologram plastic certificates are made in China and take a little time to come back. The FAA saves 2 cents per certificate by doing this. Just kidding.

3+ months seems like a long time, I don't think I've waited much more than a month for any of mine. A few weeks for an address change or duplicate. Just don't let your temporary expire, you can call OK city and they will fax you another.

blingair said:
Why on god's green earth does it take the FAA 3 months + to send out a new certificate?

Because they're following up on the endless number of leads provided by Afellowaviator of unsafe pilots making home videos.

Last edited:
I'll put my two cents here.

With the new electronic Airman Application program where you complete your 8710 on a computer with your Examiner as you complete your check ride and electronically "mail" your paperwork to OK City you will have your certificate at your mailing address in just three weeks. So let’s review how it works other than electronically.

You take your check ride and pass. The Examiner puts your 8710 in his/her brief case and drives away. To save on postage they wait to get a couple of 8710's together to mail to the FSDO. (I knew of a flight school that waited until the stack was at least 3/4 of an inch thick before the mailed it. It took months to leave the school. The FSDO fixed that but every one still blamed the FAA)

Time frame: a couple days to several weeks.....

It takes the mail around a week to arrive at the FSDO.

The Inspector assigned to the flight school or Examiner has several stacks of 8710's to quality control check prior to sending them to OK City. If he/she isn't out doing check rides or ramp checks, or any other required work, they will be reviewed soon or in a while. Remember we schedule 60 to 90 days in advance because there can be many schools in an assigned region and they all want priority. With the staffing levels in the FAA we can have several jobs to do at once. This could take several days to several weeks.

It takes a week to mail to OK City.

The Regrestry in OK City processes millions of documents a year. Yours goes into the pile with all the other FAA regions flight schools and requests from airman. A document Examiner will process your application. They will go research (from a wall of micro-fish file cabinets) any document history to ensure you have the required certificates to obtain the next level. This is not on a computer data base. No money to update the system from the 1960's. On top of this Congress mandated that all Flight Attendants will immediately have a "certificate" for security reasons. No extra money or people were given to the FAA to do this. So this really slowed down the system.

Short answer:

Examiner - a couple days to one month (or more)

FSDO - a couple days to one month (or more)

OK City - One month before the Flight Attendant Certificate

One more thing, To process your application - Free. In other countries I have heard of a $100 (
US) processing price tag. Think about that before you complain too loud. Can the process become faster? With the new computer system - three weeks at your door. I can't wait till this is out for everyone to use.....

I hope this is of some value to you.

JAFI

I just called OK City because my certificate hadn't shown up after about 3 months...turned out they lost my file........rebuilt it, and sent it back in, and they still don't have it....apparently this has been an ongoing problem.....they've been losing a lot of 8710's recently....I'd say give them a call and make sure they at least have your application, or you're gonna have to start jumping through some hoops before the temporary expires...

My first type ride was with a company DPE and an FAA examiner riding along. The FAA gentleman took my paperwork after the ride and it still took over 3 months to get my new permanent certificate. Last fall, I got a type rating through FlightSafety and it still took 3 months to get the new permanent certificate.

Not certain why it takes so long. I wonder if it's because the FAA still uses vacuum tubes in their computers...:rolleyes:

We do not want a big FAA that gets everything done right now, things would change too fast. They keep their headcount down to save the Federal Gov't money. I have gotten certificates in about 75 days normally.

Latest resources

Back