Which plane to study for interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

11thHour

Several years back I flew a Dash 8. That gig went up 3 years ago and I went back to instructing, which I still do, part time. This puts my most complex but current plane as a Seminole. I have an interview coming up and want to make sure I brush on up systems. I have been focusing on relearning the Dash 8 systems as I've heard to know your most complex plane best- But it's been several years, so it's hard to correlate stuff in a book when I havent been in that plane for so long. Plus, not having been in that plane for 3 years, its hard to remember some of the info that isn't in systems manual I have for the plane.

But- I've also heard it's best to just worry about your current plane. Thats fine, but thats a simple seminole. With my background I'm feeling they'd rather I demonstrate to the most complex level. Plus, having to learn two different plane types inside and out is causing me to confuse some stuff and is complicating things

Anyone been in this situation.. and if so what do you recomend I know more?

Be honest with the interviewer. I was. Ive had about 50 hours of c-310 time, but it was a buddies airplane and I never knew the systems since I always flew with him. I told them this and that I knew the Duchess systems pretty well and told them about that. Just be honest and tell them that while you flew the -8 it was a while ago and you do not remember many of the systems because you havent flown it in a long time. If they are worth anything they will appreciate that more than if you bumble-f*** through the systems you cant remember.

I think a compromise might be to rehash mentally the major systems on the older, more complex airplane. That way, you'll give them the image of a guy with a good memory who takes his systems seriously. Fictitious example: "I do remember that bleed air is derived from the 5th and 9th stage bleed valves, and that the 9th stage is a demand system, which means the output varies as needed by the pressurization controller. I don't recall the numbers or much of the detail beyond that." That type of response then opens up systems talk on pressurization in general, turbines, etc, stuff the 'nole certainly doesn't have.

Good luck!

Just give them the standard answers. When they ask about the engine, just tell them cold air goes in the front and really hot air comes out the back, and that the same air makes the prop go around.
If they ask something more technical, or about how something works just tell them it works good and lasts a long time.
That should get you the job.
Seriously they should'nt ding you for not being able to draw out the fuel system on an A/C you flew 3 years ago. Heck I can't remember what I ate for lunch, not to mention that dang fuel system.

Latest resources

Back