Which Job, Pax or Cargo Carrier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I realize everyone would take any job they can get now, but I'm curious if you could pick between a cargo or pax carrier which would it be, with same pay and aircraft?

I thought many pilots would want to get on with a pax carrier for the flight benefits and stuff, but it seems many prefer to go to UPS and Fed Ex.

My choice would be a major carrying pax (dreamin of DAL)- :D :D
The main reason would be because of being able to "interact" with the passengers AND being able to "meet" new F/A's on every trip (imagine that):D - Aight maybee it would be for all the wrong reasons-lol ! !:D :D ( J/K)

I don't think I would turn down Fed Ex or UPS though ! !

I guess it is good to put your imagination to use every once in awhile.-

3 5 0

UPS or FedEx at night v. griping pax during the day

I really didn't intend an editorialization in my title, but those are two factors you must consider. Everyone says that boxes don't complain. Also, the benies offered by major cargo carriers are equal to or rival those of the majors. However . . . . you are working at night. :( I did it for a number of years when I was in radio, and I hated it.

Another positive, perhaps, for flying at night is less traffic congestion. Others would opine about the great opportunity to fly historic aircraft, i.e. DC-8s. On the other hand, many of these vintage aircraft may not be up-to-date with the latest avionics and glass, etc.

Of course, flying pax is primarily a daytime job, depending on your line. Studies have shown that human performance decreases among those who work at night. I remember that when I worked at night I was sick a lot.

I suppose that meeting FAs is something to consider for the day job.

I think it would be tough decision. If FedEx or Upsco came calling before Delta or AA, I certainly would consider the decision with great care.

Best of luck with your choice.

Most of the pax carriers are financially in the crapper and furloughing employees left and right. The future of some are in serious doubt and job security just ain't what it use to be.

While the pax carriers are losing hundreds of millions of $$, UPS and Fedex are making hundreds of millions. Also, while we do operate during the night, we do have alot of daytime flying. Currently, I'd say it's around a 60/40 night/day split. We generally fly less than the pax carrier guys and tend to have more time off. Don't kid yourself thinking you'll be flying those easy milk runs at the pax carriers as a new hire. You'll be the guy flying the red-eyes at night along with us freight guys.

UPS and the IPA, under mutual agreement, will begin negotiations next week (a year early), and the union wants it's pilot group to be the highest paid in the industry. We have a company that can well afford it!

The glamour, if there is such a thing, of flying passengers wears off very quickly. I'll take the quiet boxes anytime and not worry about Muhamaad bin Salami in row 24a trying to kill me and everyone else.

Take the freight job!

The glamour, if there is such a thing, of flying passengers wears off very quickly. I'll take the quiet boxes anytime and not worry about Muhamaad bin Salami in row 24a trying to kill me and everyone else

I think I would be a little more concerned with "what" possibly could be in those boxes than worry about some passenger trying to do harm at FL370 due to the security currently in place. The odds of someone even "attempting" anything aboard an airliner these days are probably slim to none due to the fact that the other pax would probably eat them alive...

I thought it was a major concern to the UPS and Fed Ex groups about the security currently in place.?? If I remember correctly CNN did a special about this and ALOT of people seemed a tad concerned....

3 5 0

You mentioned Pax or Cargo "Carrier" This debate goes on and on as to which is better. Do you drive a Ford or a Chevy - which is better? I think on your quest before you get on with your dream carrier, I would prefer on operation with pax. At the "lower levels" in the industry I think you find better treatment and respect flying pax around as oppossed to the "freight dog" treatment. I was a flight engineer with the Air Force Reserves, while all of the pilots I flew with flew for the majors - with pretty much all of them represented. I heard this debate amongst them daily, mostly in good humor though.

Are you a "people person?" Customer service oriented? If so go with Pax. Good luck in your career.

J

I think I would be a little more concerned with "what" possibly could be in those boxes than worry about some passenger trying to do harm at FL370 due to the security currently in place.

Maybe, but...the terrorist are looking for major media coverage by taking a significant number of human lives with one event. You won't get that by putting something bad in a UPS or FedEx airplane. You will by putting it in the belly of a fully loaded 747 filled with passengers.

Last edited:
Here's the best choice.

Go with a pax carrier (commuter, regional, etc.) until you have the quals to get on with UPS or FedEx.

Good Luck.

I've flown pax at the regional and major level, but now fly for the "other" major freight company.

The pass benefits at the pax carriers aren't all they're cracked up to be especially with everyone reducing capacity these days, the passengers tend to be more of a pain than anything and now you've got all the security hassles to deal with.

Flying boxes may not be glamorous, but with just 4 years seniority, I'm home 20-25 days each month (including every Christmas!), fly an average of 20-30 hours each month and pull down 6 figures. I would challenge anyone to match that with the pax carriers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back