Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KINGAIR PIC

Looking for some opinions on this one:

I have almost 3000 TT, 1350 ME, 350 PIC in a King Air under 135. There's only one problem. I am still finishing up my BS Degree, and will graduate in Dec. '03. My goal is to go with a regional after graduation.

1) Are my times competitive for the regionals? If so, which ones?

2) When should I start sending out resumes since I technically can't start until after I graduate?

I would think the sooner you start sending them, the better. Some places take forever to get back to you. And, the phone calls that you do and don't get back will give you an idea of what you are dealing with concerning the industry. And that will help you plan. It's kinda like a big lottery right now, so many applicants are qualified for the jobs. Check aviation interviews.com, people with all different times are getting interviews. The act of sending resumes will help "get you in the game"....it will increase what you know about things. Even like stupid little things like getting the resume to print out right! And you can round up all the fax numbers and addresses. Wouldn't it be nice to be in a hiring pool while you wait to finish your degree??

Applying without the degree in hand:

KingAirPIC:

If you haven't been there already, Aviationinterviews.com is a terrific website to view interview gouges - that is, people who've interviewed at airlines and report on their experience. As part of the report, interviewees fill out their educational background. I went to that site this morning and selected one of the more popular regional carriers to consider how many successful interviewees had 4-year degrees. This is what I learned from my unscientific survey.

Of the last 20 people who reported having successful interviews with this regional carrier, 15 had 4-year degrees and 5 had 2-year degrees or less. In other words, 20% of the guys hired did not have 4-year degrees.

Moral - IMHO, get your applications/resumes out NOW. Be sure to indicate, on the resume or application or cover letter, that you will be getting your B.S. in December and where you're going to school. Also, follow suggestions in other postings about going to Air, Inc. seminars and having friends walk in resumes. The market is somewhat weak right now so you may not get the call until December anyway, but the sooner you start beating the pavement, the better.

In sum, your lack of 4-year degree at this point is not fatal to getting an interview, in my opinion. Good luck!

NOW!!

send them NOW!!

i dont know anyone to walk any of my stuff in. i never met anyone with an airline. and ive got good times. all pic, good lumps of turbine. etc..

then it took Comair 6 months to call me.

so, cant expect things to happen as soon as you send it in. send it now! if they call let em know whats happening with school....but send it now! theyre good at understanding whats going on. besides comair was flexible with interview times etc. and i imagine alot of places are a little flexible with college and all that.

goodluck man. hope you find yourself pushed by engines soon....

Thanks for your input, everyone. I may start sending them out soon on that note.

Unfortunately, school is the most important thing for me right now because (1) I hope to be with a major someday, and (2) If things get really bad in this industry, I may have to go corporate (behind a desk, not a jet). Without a degree these days, you can't find too much in that aspect. But, hopefully when the economy straightens out things will get better in aviation, and some majors may start hiring again.

Best of Luck to all!

Good thinking.

You're thinking the right way. Even in the toughest of times, your college degree will be a 'key' that can open a lot of doors that might otherwise remain shut. You're only 8 months away from finishing up: I agree that school should be the main focus.

Get the resumes out as soon as you can though. No one can say "yes" unless they have your paperwork.

FWIW - start boning up on the ATP written questions, the systems of the king air, and get your introspection process for the HR intervew underway now - that way when you send out a resume you will be prepared at all times for an interview. Some places even have mechanical aptitude test (Skywest) - so study the ASVAB (that's what I hear anyway). All this can be bathroom reading material for now :) And it gets your head in the game....

Get all that prep with your resume and 10-year work/school history, your national driving record, copies of your certificates,etc, into a package so that its ready when necessary...

The Time is Now

What're you waiting for? Start the printing presses and the postage meter rolling! You have excellent quals for the regionals; good time, good multi time and 135. Further to the suggestion above, I'd recommend that you get your ATP. Take the written and on your next check your fed could combine it with the ATP practical.

As the others mentioned, with hiring going the way it is you might not hear from anyone for a while. In the meantime, you update. Depending on how much you're flying a month, update every two to three months. More if you're building time rapidly. You should absolutely update as soon as you have sheepskin in hand.

I like how you have set your priorities. School should be number one. Perhaps hiring will loosen by graduation.

Good luck with your plans.

Latest resources

Back