Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When is Delta going to SELL/IPO CMR/ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Man alive. I sure do get a lot of responses. I will try to answer each.

Doh,

Maybe Comair will be sold or IPO'd, but it won't be great news for you guys. If and when it happens, the new owner will tell you that it is "time to be competitive." That really means PAY CUTS. Delta pays you more than any other regional, and even though I believe most regional pilots aren't paid enough, management doesn't think that way. They see you as being paid a lot more than most, and that would have to change to "be competitive." You have a contract, that is correct. When it is up, and you have a new owner (if you do), you will get a huge pay cut so you can bid those other contracts to fly feed for other airlines. That won't be fun, and I have been there already. Also, with all of your RJs, you don't want to be a stand alone carrier. You wouldn't last long against expanding Southwest, Airtran, and Jetblue. Right now you are profitable because we mostly put you on routes that LCCs don't serve directly. (sometimes we do, though)

Medflyer,

The plan is working, except for one part---oil. Did you know that it would get to $60 a barrel? I didn't. Did you buy any oil futures? You're right that high oil will not help our cause, but the rest of the plan is going very well. Our CFO--Palumbo, said that we have already hit 80% of our planned transformation in record time----faster than he has ever seen it done. Part of that is because we have only one major union---which is another attractive thing about our company (to potential investors). And yes, if we get to a certain cash level, we may have to file. That is true for everyone, and all of the majors are dealing with that right now (except the LCCs). Here are the good things going on at Delta right now:

1. Pilots and other employees gave big bucks for savings
2. Got rid of RJ hub--DFW, which was $ucking us dry
3. Started to advertise, and started Simplifares
4. Operation clockwork---doing wonders in ATL (during good weather)
5. working with major creditors--GE and AMEX---and allowing us flexibility
6. Song is growing, giving us a great tool against Jetblue--point to point
7. up to $5 billion a year in savings by 2006
8. short term fuel hedging---10%, not great but better than nothing

Bad things at DL:

1. Debt looming
2. Pension payments looming, trying to get pension relief through Congress
3. High Oil

If we have to go to Chap 11, two of those will be changed. The only thing we can't change is high oil. As far as investors or DIP financing while in Chap 11---it has been apparent that other airlines have not had any trouble getting either, and their assets sometimes have been minimal too. USAir owned very little, and they have people waiting in line to get onboard. United, without the pensions, has been approached by Texas Pacific group and another group headed by Gordon Bethune. United really hasn't formulated a plan yet, after 3 years in Chap 11, and we have. What does TED do anyway? It goes through hubs and point to point....? What I am saying is that our guys probably do have a plan----and hopefully that does not include Chap11, but if it does there will hopefully be something on the other side. And how do you know GE doesn't think Delta is doing well? We were told in a memo that they (GE and AMEX) were "impressed" with our progress (going for $5 billion a year cuts). Sounds probable to me. And, is there something in a contract that says AMEX can't use other airlines? The Skymiles card has 25 million customers. Yeah, they don't think that is worth it.....???? Come on now.

inthewind,

Don't say that out loud, you might get ambushed by an RJDC member or Medflyer. He thinks he is saving the WORLD with his RJ. (Just like the RJ saved DFW) The RJ is good for route finding, point to point away from hubs, and hub feeding to cities that don't have LCC service. Throw a LCC mainline plane in the mix, and the RJ is sunk most of the time with the business traveller.

twobits,

The reason the RJ service has grown is because Fred Greed (who is gone now) thought businessmen wanted FREQUENCY. He got that wrong. What did AirTran do with their RJ feed? They dumped it. How about Southwest? Never had it. How is INDY air doing with their majority RJ fleet? Worse than we are. Jetblue is starting with 100 seaters as their smallest plane. Good idea. The way to make money with low fares is high seat numbers. You can spread out the costs with more seats. If an RJ with 50 or 70 seats goes up against a Southwest 737 with 125 or so seats, Southwest can charge a fare that would make them money, but not on an RJ. Southwest , Jetblue, and Airtran are growing. Mainline hasn't gotten many new planes since 9-11 (some 738s and maybe a few widebodies---not many) and we actually parked our MD-11s too soon. The ex VP of Marketing (Vicky E.) stated that "She didn't think the loads would have been so good after the invasion of Iraq." Infact, we had record loads that Summer, and we parked all MD-11s just before it. There were many management blunders, and almost all of them are GONE now.

Jetflyer,

I don't always say things are "peachy." I tend to be upbeat, but I know what might be out there. I think we finally have people that want this airline to succeed (even with Gay Pride float sponsorship....). But, we may be too late with our initiatives. They are trying to do what they can, and hopefully more fare increases will come with the higher priced oil. It is their job to monitor that and make decisions. Leo Mullion waited too long, thinking USAir would die in the meantime. Never happend. Grinstein is working hard, and he should be on a golf course by now. He isn't, though. He still makes time to go to the incommand meetings, and is very straight forward. There is a plan out there.
You can continue to see all the bad, and your situation may warrant that. I really enjoy my job. I wish you did too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf. The Iraqi Information Minister.

Some of his best:
"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"
"Our initial assessment is that they will all die"
"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."

"They're coming to surrender or be burned in their tanks."

"No I am not scared, and neither should you be!"

"Be assured. Baghdad is safe, protected"

"Who are in control, they are not in control of anything - they don't even control themselves!"

"We are not afraid of the Americans. Allah has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid" (dramatic pause) "and they are condemned."

"The Americans, they always depend on a method what I call ... stupid, silly. All I ask is check yourself. Do not in fact repeat their lies."

"I can say, and I am responsible for what I am saying, that they have
started to commit suicide under the walls of Baghdad. We
will encourage them to commit more suicides quickly."

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any
place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are
trying to sell to the others an illusion."

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

"They are not in Baghdad. They are not in control of any airport. I tell you this. It is all a lie. They lie. It is a hollywood movie. You do not believe them."

"Our estimates are that none of them will come out alive unless they surrender to us quickly."

"Their infidels are committing suicide by the hundreds on the gates of Baghdad. Be assured, Baghdad is safe, protected."

When told coalition troops occupied Baghdad airport -
"...at Saddam Airport? Now that's just silly!"

Yeah, I look like him too------time to hit the gym....... I tend to be on the positive side, and if that is wrong, then sue me.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You're always so positive when it comes to Comair:rolleyes:. You wouldn't ever hold a grudge or anything;) ......

I hope and pray you're right about Delta General. Let's cross our fingers and hope we can pull it off. I also hope the sale of Comair helps us all.

Let's hope,

Jet

jetflyer said:
You're always so positive when it comes to Comair:rolleyes:. You wouldn't ever hold a grudge or anything;) ......

I hope and pray you're right about Delta General. Let's cross our fingers and hope we can pull it off. I also hope the sale of Comair helps us all.

Let's hope,

Jet

Agreed. I keep saying that a possible sale would be "business"---and that things probably wouldn't change, except for who writes the pay check. And, as far as my grudge, we all know when that started.

Bye Bye--General Lee

:rolleyes: Well GL, I don't agree with you on the DFW hub. We were doing a lot of good business there and mother D just handed it over to AA. We had a lot of customers that were very upset at the fact that they were going to have to switch to Eagle from ASA! Believe it or not, we had a TON of faithful pax that preferred the RJ to mainline for one fact....They actually got Service!! No FA hiding in the galleys reading when their fat asses should be working! Yes, I know that we have some big people here, but most of them "bust a move" to serve the passengers to the best of their ability while those on mainline try to AVOID serving the passengers! I commute to/from work and see it first hand! Easy on the shoulder press!!:eek:

Be careful what you wish for

I am rather surprised by the number of people that are actually hoping to get sold in this economic era and stage of the game in aviation. Comair was very successful in the past, but the aviation world could not be more different today. I am not starting a pissing match here with other groups, but in the 90's there just was not the "small jet" whip saw to the extent that there is today. Do you people actually want to be a part of an RFP as an independent carrier against a company like XYZ (insert whatever air carrier you like here, I just don't want to get off topic and hurt someone's feelings). If you thought the "three year pay/longevity freeze for nothing" sucked wait until your costs are compared to other independents in a fee for departure war, or even worse, a pro rata agreement. Ask air whilly how well that went three years ago with Bain consulting and the UAL feeders. It was the beginning of the end of their code sharing agreement and now their industry leading contract is decimated and they have 15 year captains commuting from a closed home base in denver to philly. In 2002-3 air whilly and comair had very similiar pay and work rules. The parallels between what they went through and what comair is about to go through with a DAL bk are frightening ESPECIALLY when you consider the whip saw pilot groups that are now entrenched in both companies feeder system. It is obvious to me that independence is not the way to go. What ever happens, one thing is for sure, we are all totally fuked either way. I can't control the destiny of the airline I work for, therefor I am focused on the things I can control, like my exit strategy/back up plan.

Delta’s mainline flying accounts for roughly 85% of the available seat miles marketed by Delta Airlines. That leaves 15% to be done by the regional affiliates. Of that 15%, 80% is flown by Comair and ASA (they both share a fairly equal portion of that). This equates to Comair and ASA flying a total of 11% of Delta’s marketed flights. If delta were to lose direct control of this large of a percent of flying they could see total cost increase by 3 cents per seat mile on 11% of there flying. This in turn will increase the total cost 1-2%. In Delta’s situation that is lose of 2%. In other words Delta could see lose (after the sale) of $75,000,000 per year, every year. In more other words the revenue generated by owning Comair and ASA would out weighs the cash gained by selling the two in a very short span. They just have to hang on to rep the benefits. These are rough numbers!

When talking about costs, I would hope you could get your facts straight first, even the Generals old mate has been known to say Comair has the lowest costs of any regional. I sure he can't be "wrong" on this.

Delta is hanging on, it dosn't look good and the clock it ticking. Selling Comair now is better than dragging us down the shi**er with you. I'd rather take a pay cut from new managment rather than from a judge.

Last edited:
Everyone takes the bait. They can't take it if the courts don't see it fit. Until then they may just be lying to you. If the CEO is a true pro he does not want his name to go do the craper too. He will find a way to make it out, and /or grow if not they need new ideas. There is no reason you should be paying fares for the pax. I think the SWA guys and gals make a tad more than the Delta & UAL 73 bros and hoes, and they are not paying for there pax to fly. No, in fact they get more cash if the company does well.

Latest resources

Back