• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's your story?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should consider applying to the RCAF only if you have a sincere desire to serve your country as well as fly. I would imagine that getting a flying officer slot in the RCAF is highly competitive, so they're only going to take the best of the best. Having met many Canadian Air Force pilots and being an ex-USAF pilot myself, I hold the RCAF in high regard.

If the attitude is to "use" the Air Force as a "necessary evil' "stepping stone" you'll be smelled out in a second.

I would recommend something like the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve if Canada has something equivilent. Finish your degree, obviously. If you decide to go into commercial aviation, and find a type of flying you like with a company YOU like and stick with it. I can't tell you how many guys I know that listened to whiners and left good companies. Also, this way down the road for you, but EVERY company has problems and usually its the same problems. Schedules, mechancal issues and every pilot seems to know how to run airline better than mgt., be careful what you wish for, you just might get it

You sound like me about a year and a half ago, I was out in west texas playing college football when I realized I had no hopes of being a professional athlete so I decided to hang up my cleats and pursue my love of aviation. I heard everyones advice of get rich then fly, but i knew it just wouldnt be the same of as being a professional pilot. So here I am, 20 years old with a fresh CFI ticket instructing for a university while I finish up my degree. If you decide to do this go into it with a full head of knowledge and eyes wide open. Although only about a year and a half I still feel confident us young kids will make it, dont plan on getting rich, stay flexible and prepare financially for retirement on your own. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions, take care.

Research the career before you jump.

1. It is NOT like the movies portray.
2. You will NOT make huge sums of money. (Those days are gone)
3. You WILL be gone from home more than you are home. At a Major, including commuting I only averaged 6 nights a month in my own bed. It was either commute or move every year or so due to base changes. Current job is better with the home time but I am gone 16 to 20 days straight every month.
4. It is very hard on families, especially kids. The divorce rate among pilots is very very high. I am lucky so far, I have a very understanding wife.
5. Holidays off are a thing of the past, no birthdays anniverseries etc. Of course there are exceptions with creative schedule bidding but you will miss most of the traditional family holidays. Christmas morning in an empty hotel is about as bad as it gets.

Of course there are many good things about flying also. Just know what you are getting in too. I have seen many people waste large sums of money only to find that they are not suited to the lifestyle that is required, or their family cannot adjust to the required lifestyle

I also cannot stand to hear the ones that whine constantly while flying over the holidays. So you are forwarned, we don't want to hear any whining that you missed your kids b-day or that you are out flying on Christmas. It is part of the job in 95% of the aviation industry.

Having said that. It is an exciting career for the most part, you just have to become numb to the down side of it.

Wow!

Glad to see all the replies, thank you all for that. As I said in my post I don't have any experience in aviation, so this message board and even this post is one of the means I am using to gather information. I'll probably be sending a few of you PM's just for conversation about flying.

I really have no idea where I want to go with my life, thats why my interest in flying is so exciting for me. For now I just plan on getting my degree and hopefully after that work on making flying my career. The low pay instability doesn't really scare me, because that has never been too important to me. I have always been terrified of working a job I hate, to me that would be the worst.

Right now I find helicopters very interesting. Something like search and rescue sounds very cool. Who knows!

Again, thank you all for the replies. Also thanks for being honest, some times the things you don't want to hear are the best sources of information. I just want to learn everything I can for now while I am still deciding what to do.

G'night.

- Zach

Last edited:
Zach,

I think since you are new to the aviation community, you'll find that MOST people are very genuine and friendly. There are, of course, those that are not.

If you are really interested in helicopters, read carefully. They are incredibly expensive to train in if you are doing this privately. Sometimes twice as much per hour than an airplane. If you are serious about the helicopter thing....Seriously consider joining the military and let them pay for your training by committing a few years to them. Should you get into flight school and get into choppers, when you get out of the military, you will be priceless in the market for helicopter pilots.

Its very hard to get a job flying helicopters, especially med-evac helicopters without military experience. But thats not to say it has not been done. My best friend was on the same track, with med-evac as his ultimate goal and he found he could only get enough time by going into the Marines.... he now flies the Chinook.

Something to consider.

Yeah I think the only route available to me would be to finish my degree and then hit up the air force. That way I still have the degree to fall back on if my pilot dream doesnt pan out.

I would like to be able to get a little experience in flying while I am doing the school thing though, so I still need to look into ways about doing that.

Thanks for your input :)

Zach

Latest resources

Back