What's the latest on Dayjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Anyone know the latest on Dayjet? Yes, I've seen the website and the last update appears to be from November of 2005. Anyone have more recent information? A few questions:

1. What is the likely or estimated start date for operations?

2. Where will its HQ be located - somewhere in Florida?

3. Are there any published minimums for PICs or SICs? Have they started to hire pilots?

4. Any discussion related to initial operating area (I have heard SE)?

5. When is the Eclipse expected to be fully certified and ready to go?

Not saying that I would be interested in working there but I am interested to hear more about this type of operation. I have a couple of friends who would likely make great pilot candidates. Plus, it looks like a fun aircraft to fly.

1- The Eclipse gets certified in June, the Eclipse takes 5 days to build, apparently Eclipse can manufacture 4 lines simultaneously.

2- HQ is Del Ray Beach FL (and/or Boca Rotan since DayJet's Challenger is based there)

3- Not started hiring yet, go to the website and find the job opportunities section. They use the ProHire system. Though the mins are not on the site, I seem to remember something on the order of 2500TT with usual suspects for multi, turbine, instrument, etc.. I also heard (somewhere, so its fuzzy knowledge) that DayJet wants single-pilot as the Avio system in the Eclipse is quite advanced, but that in the event they cant find enough insurance minimum pilots, they would do 2 pilots in aircraft to "build time". Again though, that is extreme fuzzy knowledge and I could be remembering wrong.

4- The mission profile of the Eclipse for air-taxi is 50-600 NM, so probably, anywhere in that radius. Remember, the Eclipse can get into and out of 3000 ft fields, so save IAPs, the operating theatre is wide open.

5- Again, June, probably late June. I believe the pilot training system is already up and running through United up in Denver. DayJet will have to hire and start training somewhat in advance of the aircraft certification, but how much I dont know. You know it will be soon though.

As far as the concept goes, I think there are a lot of wrong ways to do it (especially from the littered battlefield of failed charter-company corpses over the past 50 years). The jury is still out of course for all of the next generation operators, but I believe DayJet is the closest to a positive outcome, followed by Pogo. Linear I'm just not sure about. They have part of the equation, an efficient aircraft, but they need the other half of the equation which is an efficient real-time logistics system. DayJet has both of those components.

If you are really interested (or your buddies are) I would read into the papers listed on the DayJet website which describes "ASTRO" (the logistics system) designed by the CEO Ed Iacabucci (founder of Citrix Systems) and the idea of utilizing Free Flight and under-utilized secondary airports. There are further links to the White Paper on the Eclipse and its efficiencies (cheaper to operate hourly than a King Air in many models).

I for one think the DayJet model will be a a winner and a true evolution in the industry (maybe revolution?). It will run on the razors edge for awhile and is a terrific risk, but I think the long run it will be the model for customizable air transporation, just as Southwest is the model for Low Cost air transporation. I myself am very interested in employment there and am willing to take the risk.

JPAustin said:
1- The Eclipse gets certified in June, the Eclipse takes 5 days to build, apparently Eclipse can manufacture 4 lines simultaneously.

2- HQ is Del Ray Beach FL (and/or Boca Rotan since DayJet's Challenger is based there)

3- Not started hiring yet, go to the website and find the job opportunities section. They use the ProHire system. Though the mins are not on the site, I seem to remember something on the order of 2500TT with usual suspects for multi, turbine, instrument, etc.. I also heard (somewhere, so its fuzzy knowledge) that DayJet wants single-pilot as the Avio system in the Eclipse is quite advanced, but that in the event they cant find enough insurance minimum pilots, they would do 2 pilots in aircraft to "build time". Again though, that is extreme fuzzy knowledge and I could be remembering wrong.

4- The mission profile of the Eclipse for air-taxi is 50-600 NM, so probably, anywhere in that radius. Remember, the Eclipse can get into and out of 3000 ft fields, so save IAPs, the operating theatre is wide open.

5- Again, June, probably late June. I believe the pilot training system is already up and running through United up in Denver. DayJet will have to hire and start training somewhat in advance of the aircraft certification, but how much I dont know. You know it will be soon though.

As far as the concept goes, I think there are a lot of wrong ways to do it (especially from the littered battlefield of failed charter-company corpses over the past 50 years). The jury is still out of course for all of the next generation operators, but I believe DayJet is the closest to a positive outcome, followed by Pogo. Linear I'm just not sure about. They have part of the equation, an efficient aircraft, but they need the other half of the equation which is an efficient real-time logistics system. DayJet has both of those components.

If you are really interested (or your buddies are) I would read into the papers listed on the DayJet website which describes "ASTRO" (the logistics system) designed by the CEO Ed Iacabucci (founder of Citrix Systems) and the idea of utilizing Free Flight and under-utilized secondary airports. There are further links to the White Paper on the Eclipse and its efficiencies (cheaper to operate hourly than a King Air in many models).

I for one think the DayJet model will be a a winner and a true evolution in the industry (maybe revolution?). It will run on the razors edge for awhile and is a terrific risk, but I think the long run it will be the model for customizable air transporation, just as Southwest is the model for Low Cost air transporation. I myself am very interested in employment there and am willing to take the risk.

Great post. I am looking forward to seeing those things clogging the airways... I am pretty impressed with the avionics package and side-sticks. Looks like a fun gig if you can get some variety and also sleep in your own bed on most nights... I hope it works!

Qualifications/information for pilots has now been posted on the Day Jet website:

"To be able to deliver the best customer experience in regional travel, DayJet pilots must meet the following minimum qualifications:
  • 3,000 hours flight time (excluding helicopter, simulator and flight engineer time)
  • 1,000 hours as Pilot-in-Command (PIC)
  • 1,000 hours multi-engine
  • 500 hours turbo-jet PIC
  • Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certification
  • Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
  • Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Radio License
  • Valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the U.S.
  • Valid U.S. driver’s license
  • Must pass a ten (10) year background check and pre-employment drug test
Additional consideration will be given to pilots with:
  • Check Airmen and/or Instructor experience
  • Experience in EFIS (Electronic Flight Indicating System) equipped aircraft
  • Recent flight experience"

SmokeyAir said:
Qualifications/information for pilots has now been posted on the Day Jet website:

"To be able to deliver the best customer experience in regional travel, DayJet pilots must meet the following minimum qualifications:
  • 3,000 hours flight time (excluding helicopter, simulator and flight engineer time)
  • 1,000 hours as Pilot-in-Command (PIC)
  • 1,000 hours multi-engine
  • 500 hours turbo-jet PIC
  • Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certification
  • Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
  • Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Radio License
  • Valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the U.S.
  • Valid U.S. driver’s license
  • Must pass a ten (10) year background check and pre-employment drug test
Additional consideration will be given to pilots with:
  • Check Airmen and/or Instructor experience
  • Experience in EFIS (Electronic Flight Indicating System) equipped aircraft
  • Recent flight experience"

So, even the FOs on the Eclipse will require these minimums? Obviously they will hire street Captains and FOs - I would think the requirements would be different... Or will the Eclipses be flown by dual Captains?

I saw the article in the WSJ today about Dayjet. I still think it is an interesting model. These people ain't stupid... I like the fact that Dayjet will "test" its concept in one market (Flordia and then Southeast) and then roll it out elsewhere if it works - very prudent. I read that it will require 11 aircraft to just start operations later in the year. Probably require 2-3 crews per aircraft.

In terms of basing aircraft initially within Florida, I wonder if they will all be based in one location (central pilot base - maybe PBI) vs. multiple locations within the state to provide flexibility to potential customers throughout the state. So, would this require pilots to live/be based at multiple locations throughout the coverage area?

I, too, am interested in DayJet. Yes, it is a big risk, but staying in the airlines is too. I live in S. Florida and would love to come home every night. There's a lot to be said about quality of life...

Hi!

I was comparing those numbers with my airline's numbers, and here's what I came up with.

If those requirements are for FOs, then DayJet should pay their FOs about 3x what my airline pays, because their qualifications are about 3x what we require.
So, starting pay for an FO would be about $100K?

If those requirements are for Capts, then DayJet should pay their new Capts about 1.5x what my airline pays, because their qualifications are about 1.5x what we require.
So, starting pay for a Capt would be about $80K?

Obviously, the above doesn't make sense. I think that all the DayJet newhires must be coming in as Capts (mostly single-pilot ops?), and they'll probably be paid less than "typical" for in the industry.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the VLJs.

NASA predicts 20,000 VLJs flying by 2020.

Cliff
YIP

atpcliff said:
Hi!

So, starting pay for a Capt would be about $80K?

Obviously, the above doesn't make sense. I think that all the DayJet newhires must be coming in as Capts
According to their website, they will be hiring only Captains at first.

You might want to review the Part 135 regs regarding crew requirements for an 'on demand' airline as to single pilot vs. two pilot requirements for jet aircraft.

So far, the 50k is just a guess as they have not posted the exact starting salary. Probably close however.

This new type of operation is going dumb down the pilot ptofession. The guys running the show will expect pilots toperform and be machines....

Pilot Taxi Cab operators.....

I wonder if I'd have to piss in a milk jug just like a real cab driver.

Latest resources

Back