Whats the deal with gate agents???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyn96

I've noticed in the last month or so that while js'ing the gate agent always asked if I'm listed (no biggie), but when you say no. They say you need to call YOUR airline to list you for OUR Jumpseat. What the F@#K! This has happened on NWA, TSA, and ACA to me recently.

Have I missed some memo about this new jump seat hotline! This does not exist! Who is telling the gate agents this BS.

You can list yourself with in your own system (ie I work for XJ so I have access to the NWA system), but I can't list on UAEX or AA Connect flight. DO GATE AGENTS KNOW THIS I guess there are so many brand "franchises" these days the can't tell who we work for!

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this??

CCCya

This sort of thing happened to me a month or so ago.

I commute and usually always use UAL/express so I can ride upfront if need be.

Occasionally I have used Frontier and the first time I did the gate agent asked me if I was listed. I told him no and that I didn't know it was possible to list myself on them. He suggested I call a reservationist next time. He listed me and on we went.

The next time I tried frontier I called the reservations and they said they don't list JSers anymore so I just went and walked up to the gate and the agent didn't even ask. end of story.

I have found there is a lot of conflicting information out there from the gate agents to the pilots/flight attendants etc. The best way, as you probably know, is to make friends and they will usually help you out. I try the innocent, I don't know what I'm doing, approach, subtly, and it seems to help.

AA Non-rev list

For reference, I commute on AA sometimes between DFW and ATL when the DAL flights are full or at inconvienent times. I always try to call and list before the flight. The agents at the airport really appreciate it since it is a pain in the neck I guess and they don't do it that often.

The AA Non-Rev list line is 888-933-5922. Follow the prompts and you will eventually get a live person. They will create a meal listing for you, which gets activated at the airport. It does not mean you are the only one trying to catch that ride though. It is still first come first served at the airport.

Speedtree said:
I try the innocent, I don't know what I'm doing, approach, subtly, and it seems to help.

Usually works for me too. Other options are...."It's been a while since I jumped with your airline so I want to be sure I get it right...or....Let me get those bags for you (to the elderly passenger in line)" while the gate agent observes.

It's simple: meal list. You can never go wrong with doing too much to help the agent.

Alternatively, if you absolutely can not list or can't find a bored agent to do it for you, make yourself useful while the gate agent does it for you.

joe

Latest resources

Back