What will regionals do

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Here's a question I have....what will most likely happen to regional airlines that fly for Delta and Northwest if this merger goes through? Take for instance Compass Airlines that flies under Northwest....would they likely get cut if NW/DL merge, or would they just transfer to the Delta name most likely?

$24000 question - since NWA sunk so much cash into them for their startup, I cant see them getting cut; maybe limited in overall fleet size, but that is about it...

Let's face it. We are going to have to fight for our jobs. We are going to have to perform better than the next regional if we want to keep flying. I don't care how much NW has sunk into any company if they don't perform somone else is going to take there flying.

Let's face it. We are going to have to fight for our jobs. We are going to have to perform better than the next regional if we want to keep flying. I don't care how much NW has sunk into any company if they don't perform somone else is going to take there flying.
Performance and cost are going to be HUGE if/when this goes down.

I read somewhere that DL wants no more than 4 Delta Connection carriers under a combined NW/DL. I think the front runners are ASA, Compass, and SkyWest...with Comair, ExpressJet, and Pinnacle fighting for the wild card spot. Hate to say it for the Comair folks, but I think 9E stands the best shot of sticking around of those three.

Edit:

Damn...I forgot to account for Shuttle America. If Compass sticks around, I could still see Shuttle leaving the DLC fold.

Last edited:
From the four Delta Connection airlines, two will be from Republic Airways Holding.

And that's a fact, Jack.
I have a hard time seeing DL keeping both of the RAH carriers. I don't see CHQ's 50 seaters making the cut.

ASA has ATL covered...SKW covers the west...Pinnacle or Comair taking care of JFK/CVG...with Shuttle America or Compass running the E170's.

Walt -

Your list is fine for the current DAL hubs, but what about Snowtown, Motown, and Notown - do they just disappear as hubs off the face of the earth?

Walt -

Your list is fine for the current DAL hubs, but what about Snowtown, Motown, and Notown - do they just disappear as hubs off the face of the earth?
I think, of those 4 remaining...they will fall into place. Compass and Pinnacle being the likely candidates for coverage of the NW hubs since they already have presence there.

This past week on Tuesday, 8 April, the Comair President (no one remembers his name because he is oh so important) commented on the possible merger of Delta/NWA and it's relationship to impact on Comair.

He said that the the merger would have two possibilities for Comair:

Outcome "A" would be "status quo" with no noticeable changes for Comair.

Outcome "B" would be a slight "bump up" in Comair flying.

He then commented that he foresees NO NEGATIVE OUTCOME for Comair in the Dela/NWA merger.

If you bite on this hook I have some swamp land to sell ... call me.

Latest resources

Back