What scared you in an airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Continuing with the icing stories...

While doing IOE with a new 700 hour first officer (no offense to any 700 hour guys and girls out there) the workload gets rather high in the wonderful 1900 .

The airline had just repainted some of the planes and the fuel caps were painted bright red to contrast with the grey wing.

While cruising at 8000 because Chicago center will not let us climb any higher, I take a peek out of the side window while rolling my eyes wishing I had an autopilot. It takes a second to register, but I cant see the fuel cap. I ask the fo if he can see his and after he turns his head back I think he might have seen a little green monster out on the wing. Both bright red fuel caps are obscured by a layer of ice that has run back over two feet from the boots.

The 1900 can carry a load of ice.

Tried to take off 28R at MYF with carb heat on, my first mistake, and left magneto problems. Plane bounced about 10 times until I decided to abort and got it stopped about a foot from the end of the runway. My friends loved it.

I was flying a PA-28-201T over lake Michigan from AZO to MDW and had a bird strike rip off the left anticollision boot exposing the aileron conterweight to the 145kt wind. I wasn't sure the thing would fly with that counterweight sticking out but it did! Still scared the hell out of me!

Tim

Almost forgot about the time taking off at gross out of DPA on one mag and barely clearing the powerlines......that was exciting!

and ofcourse several heart stopper carb ice surprises in IMC!

Last edited:
Bushman,

Not to pick a fight.....no wonder the flying clubs at MYF are having
such a hard time keeping their insurance. Do us a favor, with 110 hrs, maybe a little refresher course on the use of a checklist might be in order.

"Your friends loved it" this time, but when they have to scrape you off the In and Out Burger at the departure end of 28R it might not seems so funny.....

My 2 cents.....

nope, but you do have to have 50 hours pic x-country, plus 40 hours simulated instrument (post private), 15 hours of instruction from instructor (part 61). he'd have to be at a 141 school. there, you don't have to have the 50 hours x-country. that''s about the only way i know of to get the instrument in 110 hours.

Well, if what you said is true, then 35 hrs for private+ 50hrs X-country+40 hrs instrument time (lets call it 50)=135hrs. So no way can you do it in 110 hrs. What math are you using?

Or can the 50 hrs X-C be instrument time? Then you could conceivably get the instrument rating in 85 hrs TT. I don't think so. If you could, no way would I fly with someboby in IMC with 85 TT!

Last edited:
No.

Instrument rating requirements. FAR 61.65:

Hold at least a Private Pilot certificate with an airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift rating appropriate to the instrument rating sought;
Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
Yadda, yadda, yadda,
Aeronautical experience:
50 hours of X-country time as PIC of which 10 hours must be in an airplane if airplane instrument rating is sought.
A total of 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time
At least 15 hours of instrument flight training
At least 3 hours of instrument trainging in the 60 days prior to the checkride
yadda, yadda, yadda.

TDTURBO,
Easy now. You're not exactly an old salty dog in aviation. Half of that 40 hours can be in an approved flight simulator. Getting an Instrument rating at 110 hours is no miracle. You're probably as safe an instrument pilot at 110 hours TT as you are at 250 TT. It all depends on your experience. I have flown with guys with a lot more time than 110 TT that are probably more dangerous than our fellow poster.

Here's what's scared me so far:
Flying a KC-130 form flight coming in for a full stop at Homestead. We come in for the break then we're both planning for full stops. Lead floats halfway down the runway then stays on till the end. As we cross the threshold we start rolling left. I counter with aileron... all the way to the stops and we're still rolling slowly left to about 30 deg aob at about 50 feet, which is a hell of a lot in a herc at that alt, finally it starts rolling the other way and takes an aggressive correction to stop. The a/c ended up taking controls and added power for a go around (with 150 hrs total time, I had my hands full). The power blew our wings clean I guess and we flew out of it, still in a position for landing, he took the full stop. We're rolling down the runway and the nav says, "Well... my n**s are in my throat." The ac calmly says, "Yeah, I thought we were gonna crash for sure." We figure that we flew through leads prop wash/wake turbulence.

Another time, I was sitting in the RO seat which is in the back of the cockpit while 2 other pilots flew into Souda Bay, Crete after we had done an AR. The flying pilot has us super high for a visual so the a/c tells him to make a 360 to descend. He makes the 360 and looses about 200 feet. Fabulous. So we press on and he realizes that he'll need to make like a brick to get down. The VSI is buried all the way down. I'm waiting for everyone to realize that we're either gonna have to go around, or lower the field elevation by about 100 feet when the Greek tower controlled says "XXXXX, go around." You know you're screwed up if a foreign tower controller calls your go around. Moral of the story is that I should have called it even from the RO seat if no one else was going to.

Latest resources

Back