• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aggiepilot

Ok guys,

Need a reality check.

1. Is it true that the night flying life expectancy is lower than the life expectancy for other pilots? Facts first then opinions please.

2. Is it true that the loss of medical rate is significantly higher at UPS versus the non-night time operators.

3. Also, is commuting from a SE city, (not ATL) a real possibility, even to ANC, or are you killing yourself. I commute now but only a 2 hour leg with 7 options a day but it is 4-5 work blocks a month where UPS seems to be 1-2 work blocks on reserve.

4. How hard is the lifestyle? Are the 4 leg nights common and miserable? Would you rather do one long leg international or domestic multi legs. With kids that wake up at 6:30 AM, do you make a life sleeping until 11 every day?

5. How much home time would you have as a commuter, do you lose one day one each end of the commute or can you get home on a day that you strat or finish, r(please specify if you are tlaking from a reserve or lineholder perspective)

Thanks for your detailed responses in advance!

Need a reality check.

1. Is it true that the night flying life expectancy is lower than the life expectancy for other pilots? Facts first then opinions please.

Don't know but it is rough, but considering more than half of our flying is international, what is night? Night time flying in Europe is Afternoon flying in the states.

2. Is it true that the loss of medical rate is significantly higher at UPS versus the non-night time operators.

There are a lot of guys that retire from here.

3. Also, is commuting from a SE city, (not ATL) a real possibility, even to ANC, or are you killing yourself. I commute now but only a 2 hour leg with 7 options a day but it is 4-5 work blocks a month where UPS seems to be 1-2 work blocks on reserve.

The amount of hiring being done, you can have pretty much anything you want after your year of probation. If you want international its available, domestic available. Living in Domicile is definitely easier, that being said I don't , based in SDF and have been to SDF 3-5 times in the last six months.

4. How hard is the lifestyle? Are the 4 leg nights common and miserable? Would you rather do one long leg international or domestic multi legs. With kids that wake up at 6:30 AM, do you make a life sleeping until 11 every day?
Depending on the aircraft, Airbus yes on some schedules. International one or two legs then to the hotel.

5. How much home time would you have as a commuter, do you lose one day one each end of the commute or can you get home on a day that you strat or finish, r(please specify if you are tlaking from a reserve or lineholder perspective)

Depends where you are commuting from/to and your trip. Most of our night trips in SDF start after the inbound, so I can commute in to my trip and visa versa.

Thanks for your detailed responses in advance!

Reality

Hi there AWD,
Got the call, looks like I'll be brown soon. No class yet. I'm getting as much info as I can.

Looks like most new hires are getting ANC, or ONT?

How shell shocked will a pax dude be initially, is there a lot to get used to?

Overall, I hope Freight is where it's at.

I commute FL-ONT. It's not too bad since I only do it once a month. As far as nights, I've only flown nights once since IOE and haven't done a four leg day yet.

hi

I commute FL-ONT. It's not too bad since I only do it once a month. As far as nights, I've only flown nights once since IOE and haven't done a four leg day yet.

FO...do you mean FLL? When did you get hired? Are you thinking of bidding MIA?

FL=Florida. :) I commute out of TPA and have been here about 6 months. MIA is first on my list, but ONT isn't bad. At least I can go to HNL once in a while.

FL=Florida. :) I commute out of TPA and have been here about 6 months. MIA is first on my list, but ONT isn't bad. At least I can go to HNL once in a while.
Nice thing about the 757 is once released off probation or earlier you can bid to MIA without another training event. Worst case one year in ONT, for the kind of career UPS will offer it is a small price to pay.

You'll be shell shocked wondering how you ever put up with pax! :)

Amen to that. I haven't even flown my first flight yet with Brown, and I'm a shiny, happy person concerning the lack of passengers.

350Corp, are you sad that you're not going to be able to make PAs again? I don't get it.

As I've heard about a thousand times since my first day here...."boxes don't bit*h." I love it.

Sad?

I could give a crap about pax announcements. I'm trying to learn more about the sked, and trips. As far as the pax side of things, I will miss the starbucks....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back