Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
... that pulls so strongly when you can't do it anymore? It's not like any other avocation in existance, imho.

I played music semi-professionally for periods of time but when I gave up dreams of being a rock star I never really looked back. Until a couple weeks ago, I'd gone four years without even owning a guitar. No problem. I've drawn and painted since I was a kid but I could put it down for years and never miss it. No problem.

But flying? That's a whole different can o' worms. I've wanted to fly professionally since I was a kid, and I ate, lived, and breathed aviation until I got to high school and discovered music and girls. But even after that I'd fly whenever I got the chance, even as a passenger, if that's all I could get. Thru college, then the Army, then college again, I never stopped dreaming about it and I'd fly a little whenever I could afford it. Before I could really start working on the ratings I found myself married with kids to clothe and feed. But I always flew when I could and I never lost site of the goal. By the time I started training for real in 2000 I probably had 200 hours (not all of it logged) over ten years. Till then there were always other responsibilities that took priority.

And now, after holding onto the dream that it was still possible for so long ... Sept 11th comes before my IR checkride is complete ... two weeks later my employer lays off half the staff and cuts everyone else's pay by 50% (still in effect) ... no other jobs to be had ... can't afford to fly ... I've flown less than twenty hours since then ... all freebies ... turned forty ... it ain't gonna happen ... I'm bummed. :(

What is it about aviation that 'sticks' with those who fall for it? Why aviation and not the Rock Star dream? Why not the artist dream? Why is it only flying that bums me out so bad when I can't do it any longer?

Minh

I'm in a similar situation. Started flying in 1986, got the private, but never stuck with it and finally came back to it in 1999. Now at 36, married with three kids I am coming to the realization that It's probably not going to happen for me too. It's not that I don't want it. It's just that I can't afford to quit my day job to instruct full time and gain the needed experience. I always said that if I haven't done it by 37, I would give up on the dream. Now that's around the corner, but I'm not ready to throw the towell in.

At 40, I think you'll be back to training when you can. At the very least, you can get your instructor ratings and share with others what it is that pulls you to aviation.

Not sure why it is that flying sticks with people so much. In my opinion it seems that people either don't like it or you can't get enough.

Best wishes.

This is one of those questions that make you go hum.....

I often wondered why I have been (and still am) a flying Nut (Geek). My first ride was in 1972 in a 172 with my step-father. I can remember it like it was yesterday. The Interior of the plane, the exterior colors, the things I saw and the very first time that I held the controls...I was hooked.

All through childhood, I wanted to be a professional pilot in the worst way. My mother had other ideas. She wanted me to get into a occupation that had more job security than risk of loosing a job. Funny how mothers are ALWAYS right.

Now, here I am, almost 40, balding and everyday wondering what it would have been like to be an airline pilot instead of my current occupation. I always look for reasons to go by the airport. I look into the sky to see what is flying overhead and basically live with my head looking to the clouds.

My wife always jokes to others that she knows if I am not at home or work, she knows EXACTLY where I will be. (and it isn't a bar)

So to answer your question, I can't. Maybe it is the freedom we feel when we fly. Maybe it is the ability to do something that not everyone on this earth has the ability to do or maybe it is a genetic abnormality on one of our many chromosome within our DNA.

What ever it is... I thank GOD everyday that I have it. :)

Hey.. I see guys out here at the airport learning to fly that are well into their 60's .. heck, the flight instructor out here just turned 78! I hope for all of you that the opportunity to fly presents itself even though you may feel like it's too late. I feel that although I really enjoy flying commercially, if I had to make a choice, I would take flying a 172 on a beautiful morning "just because" any day. Anyway.. just my thoughts.. ;)

Snakum and the rest- You guys are not out of the running! If you pour yourself into flying you could be at a regional or corporate gig in 3-5 years. I know the industry has been turned on it's head but in flying fashion that happens about every 10 years anyway. Don't quit your day job but maybe you could arrange your hours to accommidate flying. For example, when I was 29 and returned to pursue flying fulltime (started freshman 1986 never finished) I got a banking job in a grocery store (financial background) that I was able to work at mon-fri 3pm-830pm and sat 10am-6pm. This enabled me to fly every morning and all day sunday. I was able to complete my CFI/I and AAS in under 2 years. I started at the uptick of the industry (1996) and for me zero time to CRJ Captain was 6 1/2 years. I had to pay as I went and a school loan but there is no reason why you could not do it quicker. Get your CFII and make contacts in your spare time.
For all the headaches I really have to say I love my job. Repositioning a plane from MSY to DFW with no pax- plane handled like a sports car (with a little yank and bank :D ). The CRJ is not a bad place to hang your hat. All the best

oh you mentioned God in follow up post to snakum

I'm so depressed I don't care ... :D

Hang my hat in an RJ? Hell, all I ever wanted was a King Air or a Citation. My goals are small and do'able ... I thought. I take heart knowing that back in the BOOM Great Lakes hired a 52 year old FO into the 1900. Hopefully the economy will pick up, my employer starts doing better, I get full pay and a child-support reduction (oldest turned 18), I can get at least the CFI/MEI done and start building time.

Or maybe not ....

:(

Minh
(I'd love to just RIDE in a Skyhawk again. Anyone at GSO or INT need a right-seat navigator in a 172?)

you're just whining and crying....

...and nobody cares.

try expending that energy on actually doing something about your problems.

that is, if you REALLY want to.

Since you're spammng my PM box with juvenile, ill-informed, unsolicited BS comments please allow me to respond in kind ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're still mad about that thing with your wife, aren't you? I understand, and I've apologized. However, you still owe me the $20 co-pay for the critters she passed me. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, we're both juvenile jerks. Feel better? I thought so. Let's talk about what you're really mad about. I insulted your friend the retired Army Captain who wears his uniform to the FBO to yell at visiting pilots. It was funny ... and he deserved it. Like others here who get caught out, he deleted the entire thread rather than suck it up and take what he had coming to him. He asked ... we told him.

Or maybe HE was YOU. You have more than one username?

Minh

BTW ... dickweed, stop spamming my PM box. I'm not reading them. If you don't like the thread ... don't read it. This is a wannabe career-changer pity party. :D

Last edited:
Re: you're just whining and crying....

onthebeach said:
...and nobody cares.

try expending that energy on actually doing something about your problems.

that is, if you REALLY want to.

Onthebeach:

You are an a$shole. Go crawl back under your rock.

Latest resources

Back