Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jet_Dreamer

Living The Dream??
Just had an engine failure today in the company 172rg. had to dead stick it in from 5-6 miles out from 4500. is that good experience to take to an interview? assuming i had one to go to.

Contratulations! First off, any experience is good to take to an interview. The tough part is being asked the right question. They never ask for your best stories! Interviewers are primarily interested in how you'll fit into a crew environment so if you do get the chance to share your story make sure to mention how methodical you were in your decision making and your Aviate, Navigate, Communicate routine.

BTW, have you received your honorary Glider License yet?

I figure if i ask for that honorary Glider License, i am sure they will give it to me. :)

I will also keep your suggestions in mind if it ever comes up during an interview.

First thing I am glad you did not get hurt. Second as a pilot recuriter from the past. I would look at that, but as a pilot you should know your emergency procedures. I would target on how you re-act with another pilot on board with you. How would you handle everyday situation at the airline. What if questions.
Don't get me wrong I think you did a great job on getting a sick aircraft back on the ground, but recruiters are looking at interaction skills as the number one thing. Navigation skills second and system knowledge would be third.

Thats my 2 cents on that.

i agree with you 100%. i would assume in the airline environment that there are procedures to follow. one does the flying, both go through the checklist, and one does the talking and navigating. or somewhere along those lines. everyone i have spoken to regarding the event say i did everything that should have done. anyways, just wanted a little input. thanks.

Jet_Dreamer said:
Just had an engine failure today in the company 172rg. had to dead stick it in from 5-6 miles out from 4500. is that good experience to take to an interview? assuming i had one to go to.

Assuming you didn't run out of gas, etc. It would be a great story. (Just Kidding)

Glad you made it down ok. I don't know if an interviewer would ask about an experience like this. If they do then yes I would tell them how you handled the situation.

plenty of gas. engine related. not sure what happened. oil all over right side and bottom of a/c.

team player

So if these interviewers are looking for team players, can I tell them how I've played on a soccer team ever since I was five, and how I depend on others to work together? Just a thought, it late.

Wow

Latest resources

Back