Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dc10maniac

What do you guys think about JALways?

If you have a stable job flying a corporate job $70000 a year and it will last at least 10 or 15years , will you guys change it for a job in JALways flying as a F/O based in HNL ???
How long this contract with JALways could last .... 3 years?

Need your help to make a decision.

dc10maniac said:
What do you guys think about JALways?

If you have a stable job flying a corporate job $70000 a year and it will last at least 10 or 15years , will you guys change it for a job in JALways flying as a F/O based in HNL ???
How long this contract with JALways could last .... 3 years?

Need your help to make a decision.

The contract with JALways is 3 years, but it's renewable with mutual consent. We have guys that have been here 15+ years.

However, if you have a stable gig, don't mess with it. JAL Group is losing tons of cash. Yes, you could be a 747 captain in 3 years, making almost $160K, but the stability is questionable.

Resocha said:
The contract with JALways is 3 years, but it's renewable with mutual consent. We have guys that have been here 15+ years.

However, if you have a stable gig, don't mess with it. JAL Group is losing tons of cash. Yes, you could be a 747 captain in 3 years, making almost $160K, but the stability is questionable.

When I talked with the folks who had the contract a few years ago, there was no upgrade what so ever. Has this changed?

Rick1128 said:
When I talked with the folks who had the contract a few years ago, there was no upgrade what so ever. Has this changed?

Yes, it has changed, and quite a few years ago. The average time to 747 CA is about 3 years.

dc10maniac said:
So, It's not worth it?

That's up to you. You have to evaluate stability vs. income. Do you leave your stable job for higher income? Having the 747 type rating and CA time is highly beneficial for career advancement, but a stable job in this industry is sometimes more of a gold mine.

Talked to three JAL pilots, one retired and two currently on with the company. All three said that training was humiliating and took from 9-11 months. Comments?

SpyFlysDOTs said:
Talked to three JAL pilots, one retired and two currently on with the company. All three said that training was humiliating and took from 9-11 months. Comments?

When I interviewed on the original JALWays contract, I was told that you would train in Japan for a Japanese certificate to Japanese standards. If the checklist said that a switch was to be moved at 18,000 ft, it was moved at 18,000 ft. Not 17,999 or 18,001, but 18,000. And that the only passing grade was right on the money. It kind of explains the JAL 747SR crash, doesn't it.

Latest resources

Back