What are my wife's chances?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CesnaCaptn

My wife is applying during the open window for off the street hiring.

She has only about 1 year of college credit, a commercial pilot license (350 hours), and steady career progression including retail sales management.

Who knows what HR will do. They are very unpredictable. However, I spoke with a lady out in HR in OKC last week. She said that they will begin to contact all qualified (based upon the bid - 3 years college, 4 years work exp, or a combination of both) candidates after the bid closes on Feb 15th (I don't imagine this will happen fast - it never does). Then the candidates will be given a place and time where they can take the AT-SAT. After that interviews will be offered based upon test scores, so its in her best interest to do well. I am told that a lot of the CTIs (college training initiative folks) are simply not showing up for their class dates at the academy....who knows how that will help motivate HR. At my facility we have been consistantly working 6-day work weeks for almost 2 years (you know some of the voluntary OT the FAA talks about - yeah right more like double-super secret mandatory).
Tell her to go make an appointment with your local air traffic managers and visit some of the ATC facilities in your area - don't limit yourself to just one.....make all contacts now, and follow up on them. These will probably be the same folks she'll have to interview with, and they can help the process if they like her.
Best wishes to her. What city do you live in?

Is there any way to prepare for the AT-SAT? How much notice will she get if she is chosen to test?

On the ATC CTI website there is some info. Its been a really long time (many decades since I took the test and do not know if its even remotely the same. I did notice someone had posted a study guide at one point and there is a book at Amazon that some talks about in one of the threads on that site that may help.

Tell her to go make an appointment with your local air traffic managers and visit some of the ATC facilities in your area - don't limit yourself to just one.....make all contacts now, and follow up on them. These will probably be the same folks she'll have to interview with, and they can help the process if they like her.
Best wishes to her. What city do you live in?

My wife is currently a 911 dispatcher but is really thinking about becoming a controller. Who do you recommend she contact about visiting. We live in FLL so a drive to MIA Center is no problem.

Also what is the deal with off the street hiring. She is looking into CTI schools but were can I get info for off the street

I tried to find a link where you could search for FAA Facility Mangers names and phone numbers. However, on the public site, it doesn't offer this (or I am just not seeing it like I did at work). The best advice I can make is locate the numbers through whatever means are available (AirNav, Flight Service, etc.) and call and ask who the air traffic manager is. Then make some appointments to visit the different facilities in your area - do not limit yourselves, loook around, all facilities are hurting or will be soon! Dress nice and be professional....and tell them why you are visiting. When you talk to the controllers, they will most likely be very discouraging. This is because the FAA voided our very lucrative contact last year and has had us all working under imposed work rules. These rules are not really all that bad in comparision to other businesses. Just remember that we simply do not have many of the pay and liberties that we used to, so many folks are sore about it. This has been a GREAT career for me now for 20+ years! I would encourage anyone interested to submit for the bid offering and give it a wag. Just keep it all inperspective and make your own decisons, do not let other people influence you before you have a chance to try!

Here's another tidbit:
controllers can retire after 25 years of service at any age, or after 20 years of service if you're 50 or older. You must retire at 56. This comes with a government very nice sized pension (dependent on your # of years of service) and a 401K with excellent govt matching (we call it TSP - thrift savings plan) at the end.

I will be able to retire at 48 with a full govt pension and will still be making more than most of your early year captains (at the regionals) just off my pension portion.

Just another good reason to consider this avenue!

Beware...

I heard from a reliable source within the NYC FAA ATCS region. That developments (new hires) are washing out in an alarming rate due poor training in OK City and placement in high traffic and complexity facilities. Applicants off the street with no prior experience or ATC schooling such as CTI programs are in an extreme disadvantage.

It's a great career with outstanding benefits for the ones that can "cut the mustard".

good luck...

This was the first one in 15 years. I called OKC and they said they don't know when another one will come out, if at all, at this time.

Latest resources

Back