Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tonala2k

Show me the boxes
This makes me sad that a flight board has few Mechanical threads. As a pilot I want to know more about the plane I'm flying. When I get an hour of spear time at the school I'm always talking it up with my Chief pilot/CFI. The guy's been flying for over sixty years! I love it! He has seen it all! It's going to be sad when you just can't find any one who remembers WWII.

So here's my question.

What baby steps can I take toward becoming an A&P technician? Nothing heavy. I still need to focus on teaching my students the basic.

Also, would I be imposing on my school's mechanic if I asked to spend my occasional free time (bad weather days) watching them at the shop?

Asking to "watch" the folks in the shop will not be well received. Asking to learn about the aircraft by doing some of the scutt work in the shop will.

Helping to "open up" an airplane for inspection, drain engine oil, pack grease in wheel bearings, and washing it are among things that will help to truely familiarize you with the aircraft. While you're doing this, you will have the opportunity to observe the mechanics/inspectors do there work.

I believe you will find a mechanic more willing to take time out of his or her day to answer questions or teach you how to do a simple maintenance procedure if you express your interest in learning by being part of the team as opposed standing on the sidelines and clinically observing them. Keep in mind that you will be a hinderance to them at first because it takes more time to explain methods and monitor you than it does to just do the work themselves. Work with them regularly during your association with the flight school and you will gain valuable insights that will help you throughout your flying career.

Waldom said:
Asking to "watch" the folks in the shop will not be well received. Asking to learn about the aircraft by doing some of the scutt work in the shop will.

Helping to "open up" an airplane for inspection, drain engine oil, pack grease in wheel bearings, and washing it are among things that will help to truely familiarize you with the aircraft. While you're doing this, you will have the opportunity to observe the mechanics/inspectors do there work.

I believe you will find a mechanic more willing to take time out of his or her day to answer questions or teach you how to do a simple maintenance procedure if you express your interest in learning by being part of the team as opposed standing on the sidelines and clinically observing them. Keep in mind that you will be a hinderance to them at first because it takes more time to explain methods and monitor you than it does to just do the work themselves. Work with them regularly during your association with the flight school and you will gain valuable insights that will help you throughout your flying career.
I second what waldom says. Thats kinda how i got into it.. went with my instructor over to the maint. hanger to look over one of the planes, was introduced to the mechanic, (it helped that i'm an auto and truck mechanic) and had the background to do more than just follow along. But actively helping as opposed to standing around will get you furthur. Helps to be mechanically inclined, you learn faster is all. I'm now the guy they call when theres a job he doesn't want to do, like crawl under the panel, but i learned a lot. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back