Warning Letters and employment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

big pimpn'

After two years, when a warning letter is erased from the FAA databank, is there any way that a potential employer could find the letter from another source such as the FOIA?

If not, what are your opinions on the ethics of not disclosing a past Warning letter that has been erased from an airman’s file?

If anyone has any information on past cases involving such a scenario, I would appreciate any information you can give me regarding this matter.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/lic_cert/pria/overview/media/Info Provided By PRIA FOIA and PA.rtf

This is a must read for anyone who has received a warning letter from the FAA

I agree, as I have also researched what the FAA has to say about administrative action. The question I am asking is, when the FAA states that “After 2 years have lapsed, the warning notice or letter of correction is then automatically expunged from the EIS computer records, and is no longer reportable.” does that mean that a prospective employer is disabled from finding the letter or are there other avenues for them to use?

Perhaps the link you provided me with answers my question. Unfortunately, I am not an attorney and sometimes have trouble deciphering the true intent of what the FAA is publishing.

To me, what is written below tells me that the letter will vanish and on paper never even happened. Being the pessimist I am, I know there is most likely something that I am overlooking.

“After 2 years have lapsed, the warning notice or letter of correction is then automatically expunged from the EIS computer records, and is no longer reportable. The date of expunction is determined from the “Expunction Calculation Date.” If this date is not in the report, the “Final Action Date” is used.”

“The expunged information includes all personal information concerning the airman such as name, address, date of birth, social security number, and/or certificate number. After the airman’s personal information has been expunged, the specific circumstances of the violation will remain on permanent record for statistical and research purposes.”

“Information that has been entered as a result of the Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) pertaining to airmen, is NOT releasable under FOIA or the Privacy Act.”

FOIA requests

send back something like "We cannot confirm or deny there is something in the persons file".... That could be a big headache....

My understanding is all personal information is expunged after 2 years, not from when the incident occured, but from when the final decision is made by the FAA. However, the letter is still on file with the FAA with only a report # attached to it. It is used for statistical purposes. In addition a future employer can still get this information on you only with the report # the FAA has on file and they will not give that report # out. You would have to give it to the future employer. In other words after two years the information is not released in a FOIA check and I cannot imagine any company going beyond a PRIA and a FOIA check. I also cannot imagine wanting to work for a company that would be that anal anyway. As for "is it wrong morally not to tell a future employer" thats up to you. I'm guessing you have an interview coming up.

And for the record a warning letter will never be released in a PRIA which the company has to tell you they are getting. Only from a FOIA will they see you have a warning letter on file with the FAA which they do not need to tell you they are getting from the FAA.

But more important then any of this who is the girl in your avatar Big Pimpn

Last edited:
I have no idea who she is. I found her on www.break.com and instantly knew she needed to be my Avatar.

I don’t have an interview yet. I’m looking at a possible furlough after the first of the year and thinking about all the things one would think about prior to filling out an application.

Thanks for taking some time to help me out.

After two years, when a warning letter is erased from the FAA databank, is there any way that a potential employer could find the letter from another source such as the FOIA?

If not, what are your opinions on the ethics of not disclosing a past Warning letter that has been erased from an airman’s file?

If anyone has any information on past cases involving such a scenario, I would appreciate any information you can give me regarding this matter.

Whatever happen to telling the truth? PRIA covers 5 years back from when you apply for the job but many companies will word the question, have you ever had a violation, warning letter, suspension or revbocation? Bear in mind this could have happen 15 years ago.
Do not think because something happen years ago it will not show up somewhere, that is why honesty is the best policy.

Latest resources

Back