Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Waiting for my temp certificate - 61.3(d)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

Hi all,

I completed the Gleim FIRC a week before last, and they received all of my required documents prior to my expiration date. I'm in the clear there, but it's looking like I won't be receiving my temporary certificate until AFTER the date listed as my expiration on my current certificate passes. For the 2-3 days after August 31st that I'm waiting for it, I need some way to continue working.

Now, I see that 61.3(d) states that "A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under this part must have that certificate, or other documentation acceptable to the Administrator, in that person's physical possession...when exercising the privileges of that flight instructor certificate." (Emphasis mine).

Okay, well, through a bit of research, I found AC 61-65D that talks a bit more about it:

"e. During the renewal process, when an FIRC graduation certificate is used for renewal and the applicant’s flight instructor certificate is being processed for renewal, a copy of the FIRC graduation certificate is considered acceptable documentation by the Administrator until the applicant receives his/her permanent flight instructor certificate. Another example of “. . . or other documentation acceptable to the Administrator . . .” [per § 61.3(d)], is a copy of an applicant’s completed and signed FAA Form 8710-1 that was submitted when making application for renewal."

The wording I'm hung up on is "...until the applicant receives his/her permanent flight instructor certificate." Technically, I'm waiting on my temporary certificate. Also, neither the AC or the FARs talk about if the FIRC graduation certificate will suffice as "acceptable documentation" if the expiration date on your previous certificate is passed and you're waiting for your temporary to arrive.

I'm probably looking into this too much, but does anyone have any insight? Am I in the clear with simply using my graduation certificate as proof of my credentials until my temp arrives?

Thanks.

You are fine if you have the graduation certificate with you. You are waiting on both the temp and perm certificates at this point... The other option would have been to take the grad cert to the nearest FSDO (with appointment made in advance of course) and you would be able to leave with the temp in hand.

Latest resources

Back