• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kansas

Seeee yaaaaaaaaa!
Greetings all-

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between low and high VOR's from an enroute chart?

Thanks for your help in advance-
Kansas

I'm looking at a NACO chart...it is easy to find terminal VOR's with the T, but the rest of the boxes don't have any L's, H's, or T's in them, and when I look them up, most of the time, they are Hi VOR's.

Is this a Jepp vs. NACO difference?

If you look at a chart for central Texas, CWK (Centex) is a High, CLL (College Station) is a Low and Gray (GRK DME) is Terminal.

Maybe on low altitude charts they figure you don't care whether they're low or hi VORs, and on the High charts only the High ones are shown anyway.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense that it really doesn't matter Hi or Lo VOR if you're below FL180, good point...are you looking at a Jepp chart in Texas?

That they do...thank you.

I got my hands on some Jepp charts today and got it figured out. Thanks everyone!

kansas said:
Yeah, I guess that makes sense that it really doesn't matter Hi or Lo VOR if you're below FL180, good point...are you looking at a Jepp chart in Texas?
Unless you're between 14500 and 18000, then your service volume goes from 40 to 100 NM.
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0101.html#?yA28ROBE

My question is: are these altitudes AGL, MSL, or with reference to the VOR? For instance: FFU can is a high altitude VOR on a 8000ft+ mountain. You can still pick it up out of SLC (30NM away and 4000 ft below).

Obviously its a line of sight issue, but how do we apply these service volumes when we're actually below the VOR, but still within the line of sight?

Does the parabolic line below 1000 feet merely point out the loss of the line of sight due to the curvature of the earth over flat land? So this doesn't apply to VORs on hills and mountains, right?

The answers lies within the FAA publication "Instrument Procedures Handbook", FAA-H-8261.

Somewhere in chapter three, it talks about accepting a clearance when below minimum vectoring altitude and off of a published airway, and that if you accept it, you are responsible for determining if the VOR has the required service volume to provide adequate signal coverage, bla bla bla.

Latest resources

Back