• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin pilot denied ipad makes $1M claim

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've spoken with my chiroproactor about flight bags. Lifting 40 lbs. and then extending your arms straight out as you reach over the seat puts a tremendous amount of strain on your back. Couple that with an active lifestyle growing up playing sports through high school and the occasional college intramural will slowly wear your body out. I exercise regularly, try to eat healthy, but age is catching up on me and old sports injuries are showing up decades later as I get older.

I've spoken with my chiroproactor about flight bags. Lifting 40 lbs. and then extending your arms straight out as you reach over the seat puts a tremendous amount of strain on your back.

Exactly. These guys talking about "whining" clearly don't understand the concept of leverage and how it can greatly multiply the force acting on your lower back.

How are y'all getting the bag into position? Are you going over the seat or behind the seat? Either way your back is hosed...

Only way I could do it in the 73 without stressing the back too bad was to go behind the seat and brace myself with the seat itself. Non-lifting arm on the seat, shoulder braced on my arm, and then hang and swing the bag with the other arm. If I did this, it took most of the stress off the spine. Learned this the hard way!

I've been leveraging the bag for over 30 years, what I don't understand is as to why the vast majority of these OJI'S are reported by younger men, older pilots and women reports of getting injured due to carrying their flight bags are very few and far between, there are people in this world doing real back breaking labor, the physical strain in our job is not more than your average office worker. Whiny babies one and all, I'm done with this thread

I actually agree with dumb pilot here-
Weak arms, weak back= OJI-

But I also agree with PCL- stats don't lie- they tell the truth about weak pilots- I think girls probably are out at about the same percentage- but plenty of women are so much weaker they don't try to pull the thing out with one arm- it's a type of weakness dumb pilot- very few know the correct way to take their flight bag out to avoid injury- but in the 737- there probably isn't a way in which you can do it and avoid common weaknesses- just a matter of time.

If your argument is avoid all weakness- ok-
I agree-
But it's not realistic.

The win win solution- pilots work out full body style and lose their weaknesses-
And companies should take advantage of technology to reduce the risk-
And until then- go to ship sets- no reason we need 5 times the number of flight bags running around anyway-

PCL- when is air tran getting rid of flight bags? Or have they?

PCL- when is air tran getting rid of flight bags? Or have they?

We haven't had to carry flight bags in a couple of years now. Every plane has Jepp AirSide bags updated by the company on a regular schedule. We just have to carry a little binder with mid-cycle revisions.

Oh- you're the same as us then- good- but would love to go full iPad mode

I can't believe this.....this will make the famous lady, coffee in her crotch McDonalds lawsuit look legitimate!

Latest resources

Back