Very very interesting PIREP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you ever Teach at WMU? You could be the person i was talking about

I'm not sure if anyone already answered this, but what is the approximate descent rate with the parachute deployed? I've heard it's still pretty fast.

A Cirrus SR22 with three people on board landed gently in a grove of trees adjacent to a road near Childersburg, Ala., about 4 p.m. Friday after the pilot deployed the ballistic parachute. All three walked away from the airplane unhurt. The pilot, Kerwin Day, is a certified flight instructor and ATP-rated pilot with over 12,000 hours. He reported that he had control difficulties while attempting to maneuver through an area of in-cloud icing conditions, according to a news release from BRS, the maker of the chute system. The airplane was not equipped with an icing protection system. Day said that while trying to climb to a higher altitude to escape the icing, the airplane began to shake and entered into a stall; it then turned sharply and Day experienced a total loss of control. Larry Williams, CEO of BRS, said, "A scenario of this type is exactly why we at BRS go to work every day. What could have been a tragic disaster had a successful outcome, there were no fatalities in this accident, thankfully there were not even any injuries." FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen told The Associated Press the plane is owned by Trench Shoring Services, a manufacturing sales company out of Colorado. All three people on board are company employees.​

Last edited:
kneeshoe said:
I'm not sure if anyone already answered this, but what is the approximate descent rate with the parachute deployed? I've heard it's still pretty fast.

I think it was posted someplace around here. If I recal it was arund 1500fpm

Mr. Irrelevant said:
WMU,

I had the same thing happen to me when receiving my SR22 training(over a year ago). Except that I didn't run the tank dry. Noticed that no fuel was being used off the newly selected tank. Apparently a pin in the selector had broken and didn't allow for the changing of the tanks. This was a brand new airplane by the way. Probably had 75 hours or so on it. Cirrus claimed it was the first time something like that had happened. Maybe it's happened twice....

Mr. I.

Dang... i keep reading about stuff like this from the owners reviews. One review i read was that a pilot was using the autopilot on his maiden voyage and the autopilot would climb and level off fine, but then during the descent, it didn't want to level out and he had to disengage and reengage the autopilot in order to level out. Then on the way back home he reported that when he engaged the autopilot on the climb, the autopilot would nose up all of the sudden. He said he flew the entire 4 hours home manually. When he got back to the cirrus factory eventually, they said that the autopilot module was fried.

There were quite a few of these i read about. I read about another one when the mechanical vacum pump had failed within 75 hours of the plane being brand new and the elctrical backup pump kicked in.

Then on here i read about the pin breaking on the fuel selector?

Of course... i dont have that much experience since i'm just barely under 90 hours, but is it just cirrus? Or is this just part of owning an aircraft and it happens to all of the brand new aircraft?

Correct me if I'm wrong as it's been some time since I've been up close on a Cirrus.

Wouldn't the aircraft be a loss if the parachute is deployed? I believe the rocket is fired aft of the cabin, but there is no "firing hole", it goes straight through the top of the fuselage. With the aircraft being made of composite I think that would about do your airplane in, regardless of how "softly" you landed.

Just wondering...

Cirrus under canopy

There is no "hole" but there is a kick-out plate that is blown off. The deployment will not total the aircraft but the impact with the ground probably will. THis is not always the case, the first deployment came down in a small grove of trees that absobed enough energy that the aircraft was repairable. BTW, that was a case were I think any pilot would have wanted the 'chute, aileron partially seperated due to maintenance (that would not be caught on a pre-flight) making the airplane uncontrollable to land.

Latest resources

Back