Vacuum pump install O-470

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL030

Removed old (sheared) pump. Garlock seal perfectly dry, no seapage either.

Installed new pump with new pad gasket. Lost two quarts of oil after three touch and go's. Oil leaking from pump center shaft area. WHY? One IA i talked to said that the gasket placement is important to block oil supply for wet pump installations. No mention on this anywhere in my Skylane manual or instructions from Rapco.

Appreciate any insight on this issue.

It wouldn't be in the 182 manual, it would be in the Continental Manual, that's where you bolted the pump to.

Did you remove a dry pump and reinstall a dry pump? You weren't that specific. How long has the engine been in service since that garlock seal has been installed? Garlock may have been gouged upon new pump installation.

Its an easy fix on a 470

Hey ERJ,

Thanks for the reply.

It was a dry pump installation. Gouging the seal doesn't seem likely. The drive gear on the pump is not metal and it just slipped into the splines of the accessory drive with no effort or interference at all.

Either the pad gasket is installed incorrectly or by some coincidence the garlock seal failed simultaneously with the pump install. Engine was overhauled in '94 by the manufacturer and has approx. 710 hrs time in service.

And you are correct about the manuals, although there is a section in my Skylane manual regarding said pump installation procedures.

Will reply again when problem is solved.

Vacuum Pump Oil Leak

The only way you could get 2 quarts of oil out the vacuum pump drive in three touch and go's would be if you forgot to install the pump. Two quarts of oil leaked anywhere is a HGUGE mess. If it's a leak it must be elsewhere. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

OK, i said i would reply with what went wrong with our pump install.

And as much as it PAINS me to write this here goes. I left old gasket material still remaining around the studs that prevented the the new gasket from seating properly hence the oil leak from the flange ports. Also i learned that leak checks are critical even if you think one is not required.

Happy flying....

Latest resources

Back