VA benefits for dispatch school

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medicryan

Hey everyone, I am interested in attending dispatch school soon and I am just doing some research on how I am going to pay for it. If someone out there used their VA benefits for dispatch school, how did that go for you? Did the VA pay for everything, or did they only pay a certain amount? Also, I would like to use the post 9/11 GI Bill to get the BAH. Did anyone use this? Thanks for any insight you can give to give me an idea of what I'm up against.

Ryan

You can use the GI bill to pay for your school. I believe that they will pay 100% of the tuition, but housing, etc will be on you.

Today and tomorrow's dispatch Opportunities

I saw you asked the same question on the jet careers web site.. you did not get much attention... not being a member there I was not able to answer you there..

If you have other choices of career fields that interest you, I would highly suggest that you strongly consider those option..

I just wanted you to take into consideration the "real" and large numbers of experienced dispatchers out on the street fighting for limited, "very limited" new positions..
Even when the industry recovers (which will prob be years).. don't expect alot of hiring off the streets.. more and more companies are incouraging their employees to get licensed, sometimes even paying for the license.. doing this to save money by downsizing the overall company employment numbers while rewarding long time employees with more job security/ responsibilities...

Having taught dispatch as well, I am all too familiar with the "Rah Rah" stats the schools continue to pour out in their advertising and while your in school.. Frankly, if you think about it.. what would anyone do if in they were instructing business?? of course they are going to tout that they are tied in to airlines and know people that will give interviews.. but that is about where it ends!..
There have been many schools graduating classes over the past 24 months and they are all mostly waiting to find their first dispatch job..

Of course, there have been a few airlines of late that wanted green dispatchers.. but this it truely a rare event.. and you might have a personal insider that might hire you.. but don't count on it..

Not trying to rain on your hopes and dreams.. just trying to keep it real for you.. Especially while your still looking to use your GI bennies.. I have been a career changer before and from personal experience, aviation would NOT be the direction I would go in this economy..

Good luck..

Last edited:
Thanks thanks for being honest with me and the state of the industry is something that I have been thinking about. Dispatching is not my dream...being an airline pilot is and with Sallie taking away career loans I am finding it difficult to find a job that will pay for CFI, etc., so I can built some time. I thought I could dispatch for a few years and be in a position to make enough money to finish my flying stuff and then go do that. I am running out of options...I just want to fly planes, damn it. :)

I saw you asked the same question on the jet careers web site.. you did not get much attention... not being a member there I was not able to answer you there..

If you have other choices of career fields that interest you, I would highly suggest that you strongly consider those option..

I just wanted you to take into consideration the "real" and large numbers of experienced dispatchers out on the street fighting for limited, "very limited" new positions..
Even when the industry recovers (which will prob be years).. don't expect alot of hiring off the streets.. more and more companies are incouraging their employees to get licensed, sometimes even paying for the license.. doing this to save money by downsizing the overall company employment numbers while rewarding long time employees with more job security/ responsibilities...

Having taught dispatch as well, I am all too familiar with the "Rah Rah" stats the schools continue to pour out in their advertising and while your in school.. Frankly, if you think about it.. what would anyone do if in they were instructing business?? of course they are going to tout that they are tied in to airlines and know people that will give interviews.. but that is about where it ends!..
There have been many schools graduating classes over the past 24 months and they are all mostly waiting to find their first dispatch job..

Of course, there have been a few airlines of late that wanted green dispatchers.. but this it truely a rare event.. and you might have a personal insider that might hire you.. but don't count on it..

Not trying to rain on your hopes and dreams.. just trying to keep it real for you.. Especially while your still looking to use your GI bennies.. I have been a career changer before and from personal experience, aviation would NOT be the direction I would go in this economy..

Good luck..

Well Med... I feel for you.. if can always be worse.... as to your plan to dispatch then move on.. Hmmm.. it takes a dispatcher about 3 to 5 years to make enough to support a small family.. most start in the $12 to $14 an hour.. the move up is a bit slow..

One other thing you should keep in mind, as this problem has effected thousands of aviation pros... Your pay scale is always directly associated with your senority,, then longer you're there, the more you make.... ok.. but if you loose your job for any reason and have to go somewhere else.. your WILL start at the bottom pay scale just like you where right out of school again!!!..

It is very tough to stay with one airline as a career anymore.. companies go BK and you start over... I love flying as well.. I think many pilots onlhere would tell you to do something that makes you real money.. and keep flying fun or a side line..

If your young enough maybe ATC.. or aviation management.. especially if your married.. this is a very tough career on marrages.. your need a spouse the really understands airline operations.. In any aviation job, you will miss all the normal holidays for many years, as a pilot, be away from home many days at a time or more..

It is what it is dude.. it's not all romance... the newness wears off pretty quick and the reality of large debt for school and low pay hits pretty hard.. talk to the regional guys they will tell you the same thing..

Latest resources

Back