Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
ok, i don't get it. on all commercial flights i've been on, you can't use or even have your cell phone on while in flight. but in shopping for headsets, i have seen cell phone plugs that come w/ the headsets. what sets flying/riding as a passenger and using a cell phone in a big commercial jet apart from doing it in a piston single or twin? what if the piston single or twin is equipped with GPS and has an all-glass cockpit, kind of similar to those found in airliners. why the double standard?

I've heard that the rule is to prevent your phone from tying up too many cell phone towers while in flight. I've forgotten to turn my phone off in flight, and at some point it just says it is out of range for service. Keep in mind, I use Sprint and their coverage can suck on the ground too.

As far as the piston flying goes, you may be at a low enough altitude that you can actually get service.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is considering proposals that may eventually allow you to use your own cell phone or wireless data device on airplanes after take off. Currently, cell phone users generally are permitted to use their phones before takeoff and after landing. FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of potential interference to cellular phone networks on the ground. In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has rules prohibiting in-flight cell phone use because of potential interference to navigation and aircraft systems.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

so it has nothing to do with potentially messing up the instruments? the last thing we need, however, is people to be able to use their phones on the flights. can you imagine? it'd be horrible!!

milf

i heard the same too about the towers thing. i have sprint too and i have barely any reception at 5000G's in a fity duece

It seems that topics just keep comming up over and over again. Does any body use the Search Function of this site????????

This was posted a while ago, but the information still applies....

The question was can I use a transmitter on a commercial aircraft in flight. (A cell phone is a transmitter......)

The short answer is NO....

You may want to know why. Every wire on an aircraft can act as an antenna if it is not shielded (grounded) properly. If you transmit or even turn on ( a cell phone, transceiver, or even FM radio) you can send interference into a wire causing problems with the normal signal in that wire. There has been much research lately with cell phones and the problems they can cause in an aircraft. The short answer is that we have no way of knowing what each cell phone will do, in each seat, in each aircraft ( not all maintained or designed the same) - so you can't transmit by regulation witout PIC approval. In an air carrier, with out that airlines/FAA approval (According to the AC).

I hope this answers your question.

JAFI

----------------------

With the more "electric" aircraft, the greater chance of transmitter interference with the wireing. But not always the case. Some "older" aircraft have lost the PA system, pilot-Flight Attendant intercom, etc. during cell phone use. In the Mighty Cessna 150 and many non electric aircraft, you may not notice the difference.

pretty much covers it, JAFI. sorry i'm an ignoramus.

i did it in the 52 one time to test out new plug in feature of headset, had to do some slow flight, instructor flying of corse

cforst513 said:
pretty much covers it, JAFI. sorry i'm an ignoramus.

Yet you asked a good question, so IMHO there is hope for you.

IMHO any professional (as always, I include the Flight Instructor) should know as much as they can about their business. To do this you need to continually learn or relearn or update the subject material. This means knowing how to research a question. An example would be Company procedures/policy, any regulations, tax code, prenuptial agreement, ... well you get the picture.

Not looking for an answer is just one of my pet peeves. Also being addressed as "Hey" or when some one starts a sentence with "Ok". It makes me think they need a word to jump start their brain to remember what the next word is.

Sorry, I need to go have some morning coffee....

JAFI

I have had a couple of problems with cell phones on the airplane.
1. I hear alot of interference with my radios.
2 I have seen my needle on an ILS move full defection with the interference noise.

I have seen these problems many times and am absolutely positive it is from the cell phones.

I am against the use of them while I am airborne. But while on approach with the weather down to mins. I dont think I want a person to be using there cell phones.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back