• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Fires Pilot For Not Removing Hat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as we keep fighting amongst ourselves, the more time it will take to accomplish good things in this industry for eachother. I'm sure University Dude doesn't like being demeaned in security just like the rest of us don't. Who cares.. he's probably young. I say let 'em get some experience in the right seat with some d#$k Captains.

What we need is a positive id system for all airline employees. The days of Captains being Captains and First Class being First Class are pretty much gone... But for those of us left in this biz with 30 years to go like myself, lets stop the fighting, unite, and DAMMIT... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Last edited:
KSU_Aviator that was a cheap shot!!!

Kansass State University Aviator :D

I can tell you three things about yourself just by the way you talk.
#1. You are a female.
#2. You are laid off from Mesaba.
#3. You’re not… the sharpest knife in the drawer.

How did he cause a safety problem by not taking off his hat? Does he really deserve to get fired because he didn’t take his hat off? Pilots have made royal mistakes on airplanes and have not gotten fired. But yet he deserves to lose everything that he has invested in his career because he didn’t remove his hat for some trigger happy, power hungry security guard. Come on gurlie, wake up and smell the jet fuel.

You said that you,"have never made any unprovoked attacks on any person”, you just made one against those pilots!!!

A.L.P.A. has years and years of experience with pilots and airlines and you are trying to say that they are on the wrong side of the issue and all three pilots deserve to get fired. Your 1300 hours (1100 in 152’s) gives you the ability to judge A.L.P.A. Give me a freaking break. I don’t like paying DALPA dues but I trust they will be there when I need them.

Kansas may have been the #1 one Public College in America (LOL) but they didn’t teach you spelling and grammar real well. By the way you talk, they certainly weren’t #1 in academics and they certainly weren’t #1 in sports, because Oklahoma University has ran all over them for the last 10 years.

I’ve already been brought down a lot of notches by flydeltajets,(boeingman got him back for me) but girl you didn’t bring me down any notches. ROFL

Remember Gurlie: "Its better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" And if you don’t think this adage is referring to you, then just read a couple of the preceding post.

The pilot should not have gotten fired, plan and simple. I agree with Flashpoint lets band together and march on capitol hill. I propose the MILLION PILOT MARCH.

ScRaMJeT

And by the way ScRaMJeT I graduated from KSU which happens to be the #1 public college in America. So unless you graduated from Stanford, Harvard, Princeton or Yale, I know for a fact that I have a far better education than you and I have flown for an airline and just because I'm on furlough does not mean that I don't know how frustrating it is.

Hey KSU. You missed a comma in the first sentence between KSU and which. Also your second thought is what they call a run-on sentence, which is generally learned about sometime in 6th grade english. Sorry, I couldn't resist since you WERE touting your education above all other public colleges in America. Oh, and by the way, I graduated from the Naval Academy. And I appreciate the fact that your taxes paid to send me there.

Had to have some fun with that. :cool:

Yeah but how do the security people know that this guy is actually a pilot?

How do WE know that these guys are really security people?

The recent FBI sting found hundreds of counterfeit and some real law enforcement badges, uniforms and other gear for sale - several on ebay. If a bad guy could get a Utah State Trooper's badge for the 2002 Olympics I'm sure they could pull off pretending to be a security checker at an airport much easier than being a pilot for an airline - both would give them access. Makes you think?

Interesting times, I hope we have enough smart people in the right places who can make some changes for the better... like better ID's for Airline pilots.

It's that simple, I dont think that an airline pilot should lose his life long career for such a minor event,dont forget that this person worked soo hard to get to where he is.did we forget about that idiot passenger from Atlanta that shut down the whole airport for hours, and only got fined $3000.Hmmm,let me think here a pilot doesn't take his hat and loses his life long career, and an Idiot cause havoc in the world's bussiest airport, and walks away with a 3000$ fine. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE HERE???!!!

Hey KSU-

Let's get things back on track shall we... What are your alternative proposals to the some of the current security related issues outlined below:

- Ineffective airport security precedures.
- Unscreened airport workers.
- Unscreened checked bags in aircraft.
- Plastic explosives.
- Unarmed flight crews.
- Elderly or pregnant flight attendants (in 50 years, both)

Thanks
-El Guapo Grande

ksu_aviator

I hardly think a document published by the "media relations & marketing" dept. of KSU can provide unbiased testimony about the quality of it's program.

Granted, I'm sure it's a fine school. But to claim its the best and to shove such a questionable document in my face as "proof" isn't exactly going to cut it.

I'm sure one of the many things you have learned at your fine school is that you should support an argument with clear and unbiased evidence. That document is biased, and doesn't serve a clear purpose.

I also agree that unless you walk through a security checkpoint at a large airport on a daily basis, you have no grounds to make your judgements and claims. This security business has gotten out of hand. And, until they get a team of engineers together to re-design this system from scratch, it will be like this for the forseeable future.

KSU do you think that anyone really cares where you graduated from. I am attending ERAU, but that in real life is not a big deal for me, its just a school.

The point of this thread is to discuse the removal of the hat, lets not get off base and go into personal attacks.

Latest resources

Back