Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freightdog75

Don't hassle the Hoff
Just heard on the news today in CLT that US AIR is cutting 2,500 more jobs in the next 3 months. Not sure how many are going to be pilot cutbacks. Regardless, it's terrible that this is happening right before the hollidays. Best of luck to all affected.

USAIRWAYS.........

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick..................

Has anyone heard anything lately?

Somewhere I read that U would end up filing ch. 7 by the end of the year. Does anyone have any other info?

Not trying to inflame anyone, just need to know what's going to happen to them for personal future planning purposes. I hope they make it, personally. Being furloughed myself, I know how much it sucks to be facing that.

Take care all,

Scotts

Somewhere I read that U would end up filing ch. 7 by the end of the year. Does anyone have any other info?

Last I heard, 1Q 2003.

Tick Tick Tick my a@@.. US Air isn't going anywhere. Was it the mid 90s that Wolfe said he was going to make them a regional carrier flying larger aircraft.. It's just going to happen a little later than planned.. US Air is in a much better position to recover than UAL... and UAL isn't going anywhere either.

I agree with Chopper. 79, please quit smoking that stuff. It's not helping.

2500 furloughs. This was annoucnced last month. Old News inless they are adding another 2500.

An Alpa meeting at another carrier revealed that US Airways would shut-down and liquidate sometime after Christmas. This of course is subject to the economy (like it will improve by then). US Airways has $10B in liabilities and only $8B in assests. United at least has more in assests to back themselves up.

Peace

"An Alpa meeting at another carrier revealed that US Airways would shut-down and liquidate sometime after Christmas. This of course is subject to the economy (like it will improve by then). US Airways has $10B in liabilities and only $8B in assests. United at least has more in assests to back themselves up."

Can you back this up or is it just more line rumor stuff?

LearLove...

Cannot be backed up. It is just word of mouth by people whose names will be protected. The numbers can be backed up by several media sources. The most recent news that is factual is a 21st of DEC deadline for labor groups to comply with additional cuts or face Chapter 7. Everything else seems to be just rumors, but there has been A LOT of talk everywhere about US Airways going under. I sure hope it survives!!!

Reuters
US Air, Pilots Reach Deal on Cost Cuts
Wednesday December 11, 4:45 pm ET
By Julie MacIntosh

NEW YORK, (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc.(OTC BB:UAWGQ.OB - News) and its pilots union said on Wednesday they reached a tentative agreement on $100 million in annual cost savings, half the new cost-cuts the bankrupt airline needs to avoid the threat of liquidation.
ADVERTISEMENT

The deal, which would also grant US Airways some relief from its underfunded pension obligations, came during talks between the airline and most of its major unions over another round of cost-cutting.

The Arlington, Virginia air carrier has already secured $1.3 billion in annual savings, but it approached unions for more concessions after it started falling short of revenue targets in September.

The Retirement Systems of Alabama, US Airways' primary bankruptcy financing partner, stepped up the pressure on workers last week. Its Chief Executive, David Bronner, made it clear he could refuse to fund the airline if it didn't secure another $200 million in labor-related cost-cuts to help it meet requirements for its financing.

The loss of that money, which is currently keeping US Airways' planes in the air, could ruin the airline's ability to emerge from bankruptcy.

But Bronner said in an interview on Wednesday that the pilots' agreement dramatically reduced the chance that US Airways would liquidate.

"That's the first great step to be taken -- it's fantastic for the future of the airline," Bronner said. "If they can come to an agreement with their other unions ... I think we can make it go."

KEEPING FEET TO THE FIRE

If the leadership of the Air Line Pilots Association ratified the new package, it could help the airline keep to its planned course of action in the bankruptcy courts.

US Airways expects to emerge from bankruptcy in March, provided it can win final approval of an application for $900 million in government backing on its loans. The airline's request was conditionally approved before it filed for bankruptcy protection in August, and the government restated that conditional approval after the filing.

"We continue to work to secure final approval of our loan guarantee from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB) and file our plan of reorganization by Dec. 20," said airline Chief Executive David Siegel.

Bronner said Retirement Systems of Alabama has instructed US Airways to file its reorganization plan with the court by that date, even if it should receive an extension, to ensure that it secured approval of its loan guarantees and stuck to its timeline.

United Airlines, the No. 2 U.S. airline, filed for bankruptcy this week after the ATSB denied an application from its parent company, UAL Corp. (NYSE:UAL - News), for $1.8 billion in loan guarantees.

"The ATSB is a tiny, tiny little organization," Bronner said. "You can't let it get so overwhelmed that we go from the front burner, to the back burner, to off the whole stove. Then we just sit there in limbo, and our whole plan becomes useless."

PILOTS EMBARK ON ANOTHER ROUND

The pilots' package tentatively agreed upon Tuesday night includes changes in productivity and work rules, temporary wage cuts, and savings on benefits and pension plans. The group of about 6,000 pilots has already ratified $465 million in annual wage cuts and other concessions.

The deal -- the first announced by any of the airline's labor groups -- could help clear a path for deals with machinists, communications workers and flight attendants.

US Airways is already in talks with the International Association of Machinists and the Communications Workers of America. Its flight attendants' union has refused to start negotiations until other labor groups reach agreements and the airline's management shoulders more cuts.

US Airways' management made no such offer on Wednesday, but Jerry Glass, a senior vice president at the airline, said Siegel has already taken a 60 percent pay cut, while other executives have agreed to 17 percent pay cuts and other concessions.

US Airways said that in exchange for the pilots' wage cuts and productivity improvements, it would raise the minimum number of aircraft in its mainline fleet, offering more protection for pilots' jobs. The airline would set the minimum at 279 aircraft, the current size of its fleet, instead of 245.

It would also make MidAtlantic Airways, its new regional jet subsidiary, a division of US Airways, a move that would help secure more jobs for pilots who have been furloughed.

The union said 392 pilots were scheduled to be furloughed on Jan. 7, and another 79 would be furloughed through April.

Latest resources

Back