UPS Hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

H25BCPTN

Ok, it has been a long time since UPS has hired any new pilots. Any guess on how many pilots UPS will have to hire when they start? Do you think UPS will bring back any of the AC they have parked or are they going to sell them? What AC do you think most new hires will start on? Last one, what do you think the starting salary might be in the new contract?

In the pool and still swimming but it is getting closer. LOL Still might be another year but we are closer everyday.

Fly Safe

:D

Hi there H25,

The reason they haven't hired in almost three years comes down to three basic things in the IMHO. Hub 2000, the A300 and maxing out the lines to the contractual limit. They can sort more packages through SDF, this has allowed them to reduce flights to the regional hubs and bring more volume through SDF on an A300 vs a 727. By scheduling 2 legs into the sort and two legs out on the A300, they can park a couple of 72's. That takes us from 6 crewmembers to 2 required for the same volume. They are displacing to the growing fleets, and most of the age 60 guys are going to the panel to wait out the contract. The new China routes might help hiring but I doubt it. With our liberal scheduling language they will keep packing the lines until we can change that in the next contract...maybe peak '05 IMHO. The starting salary will be whatever UPS thinks your worth (not much), but after the first year you will be paid what the IPA thinks you are worth.

Bottom line, little or no hiring until the next contract, but once you get here it will be a great place to be. I can't imagine being in the pax world right now.

Hang in there, WG

Are you saying that IPA will not negotiate for higher first year pay? First year industry average pay seems to be around 4,000 per month or high 40's per year...UPS is less than 30K for first year pilots...pretty far out of whack and well behind FDX. Do you really think they'll just blow that off?

I would certainly hope they're aiming higher than the current first year rates. Unfortunately though, the highest percentage gains don't tend to be in the first year bracket of most new contracts............

Daddy said:
Are you saying that IPA will not negotiate for higher first year pay? First year industry average pay seems to be around 4,000 per month or high 40's per year...UPS is less than 30K for first year pilots...pretty far out of whack and well behind FDX. Do you really think they'll just blow that off?
Yes, they will.

In 2002 UPS pilots turned down a mid-term contract T/A that included first year pay of $40K/year.

Daddy,

I'm not saying the IPA won't negotiate for higher first year pay, but I don't think they should. I think it is UPS's responsibility to raise first year pay to industry standards (whatever that is anymore). If they want to lowball newhires then it will only make the newhires more loyal to the IPA. ie, look what this place would be like without the IPA. Don't forget also that in '98 when the contract was signed 26k a year was pretty normal first year pay. (not saying that is right).

It also s*cks that we have a ridiculously steep sloped captain payscale which in effect puts junior FO's under a B scale. The captains do quite well here, but the FO's don't get out of the B scale for about 10 years. This will get fixed in the contract or it will not pass. My $.02.

Cheers

Last edited:
The T/A was a joke...I don't think that required any thought on anyone's part to say no to that. I think Wise guy is right that 26K was eaverage first year pay then. I can't imagine they would accept anything lower than industry leading pay in all categories though...I mean he11, these guys and FDX are the only companies actually doing pretty well.

Thanks Everyone. Trying to plan my life in this holding pattern for UPS and make vacation plans for this year. All the information everyone passes down is a big help for us poolies. Good luck on the contract and we will be waiting to help out soon as we can. Fly Safe and keep the information flowing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back