Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

noslonlo

poppin' the most
Let's say I have an old bonanza (VFR only) and I want to get it IFR certified. I want to add an IFR GPS like a garmin 430 (I know this isn't cheap), but am considering not adding glideslope or marker beacons. Neither glideslope nor marker beacons are required by 91.205. I would be able to fly GPS and VOR approaches, but no ILS. I would have the benefit of being able to file /G which I like for enroute. As long as I don't push into poor weather, I think this could be a great cross country "high IFR" airplane. What do you think?

Glideslope and marker beacons should be first on your list. It is the default approach all over the world. If you go to an airport running ILS's and tell them you are unable ILS you will endure holds until they have a break to fit you in for the GPS or VOR. Not to mention that on the east coast finding legal ways to file without having ILS apps. avalible for alternates would be a huge pain.

If you plan to only go to podunkville you can probably get away with it.

Spend the money, it will help resale and everything else. In my opinion, if you are not going to equip it with ILS equipment, don't even bother with certifying it IFR. Plus if you have a 430 or similar, all you need is the OBS head....that is the cheap part of the deal!

Plus, you fly for a living, you know that IFR weather seldom cooperates with you when you arrive at your destination. Blasting off IFR without a way to shoot the lls at a destination is akin to scudrunning in my opinion. Sooner or later it will bite you....and when it does you would gladly pay a million bucks for that Glideslope receiver!

Last edited:
noslonlo said:
Let's say I have an old bonanza (VFR only) and I want to get it IFR certified. I want to add an IFR GPS like a garmin 430 (I know this isn't cheap), but am considering not adding glideslope or marker beacons. Neither glideslope nor marker beacons are required by 91.205. I would be able to fly GPS and VOR approaches, but no ILS. I would have the benefit of being able to file /G which I like for enroute. As long as I don't push into poor weather, I think this could be a great cross country "high IFR" airplane. What do you think?

Maybe its just me. But I'd take a glideslop anyday over an IFR GPS. You can still go VOR hopping (straight line), or the dreaded Victor Airways.

The Garmin 430 has a Comm/Nav built in so the reciver for the gideslope may be built in, you'd just need the display. Although i know NOTHING about technical aspsects of avionics so if someone could help him that would be great.

Instead of the 430, you can get a garmin 300xl and a sl30 for about 2 grand less. You'll have the GPS enroute/approaches, and the ILS.

Seriously, as much as I like the Garmins (430 and 530)...I'd take an ILS any day of the week. Even if it means an occasional NDB approach over a GPS, I'd take the Glideslope. I couldn't imagine searching through to find VOR approaches to use as alternate airports when the wx goes down.

-mini

minitour said:
Seriously, as much as I like the Garmins (430 and 530)...I'd take an ILS any day of the week.

I don't know. I have shot a few LNAV/VNAV approches the last few weeks here in the north. All of 'em with mins down to about 250 and 3/4, and let me tell you, those approches don't care about 5 foot snow drifts on GS transmitter towers. Or about 20 ton snow plows getting too close to the LOC antennas.

LNAV/VNAV is very nice thank you.

ultrarunner said:
I don't know. I have shot a few LNAV/VNAV approches the last few weeks here in the north. All of 'em with mins down to about 250 and 3/4, and let me tell you, those approches don't care about 5 foot snow drifts on GS transmitter towers. Or about 20 ton snow plows getting too close to the LOC antennas.

LNAV/VNAV is very nice thank you.

Yea but you're going to need a glideslope needel for that right?

paulsalem said:
Yea but you're going to need a glideslope needel for that right?

Nope. All GPS. Doesn't have a thing to do with any boxes on the ground. LNAV and VNAV needles are built into the displays.

Oh...I see what you're saying...yeah, you'll need a display that has the capability to show the VNAV..I wasn't thinking "small planes". Sorry..

noslonlo said:
Let's say I have an old bonanza (VFR only) and I want to get it IFR certified.

Noslonlo, how is the aircraft equipped now. I would argue that everthing you need to fly IFR is on board. Depending upon the capabilities that you want.

Get the pitot/static system and transponder/encoder re-certified, and you're good to go.

It's all in the capabilities that you want and the IFR weather you want to fly in, that's all.

ultrarunner said:
Noslonlo, how is the aircraft equipped now. I would argue that everthing you need to fly IFR is on board. Depending upon the capabilities that you want.

Get the pitot/static system and transponder/encoder re-certified, and you're good to go.

It's all in the capabilities that you want and the IFR weather you want to fly in, that's all.

I agree totally. Spend a little money on getting the glidslope and the proper inspections. If you want more situational awareness get a cheap VFR handheld and panel mounted version and you will be golden. The 430/530 and others are just toys to play with most of the time unless you really want to do a GPS approach. There are freight companies out there flying (in crap) without GPS and autopilots. Don't spend all that money on things that are "nice to have."

Latest resources

Back