UAV's over DC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

I heard in the news that they plan to start flying UAV's over the Washington DC area in an effort to catch the sniper. I know that this sniper business is tragic to those affected, but has it risen to the level of national emergency? Shouldn't we let conventional law enforcement solve this problem?

I was under the impression that UAV's took off and climbed in restricted area, then climbed to uncontrolled airspace above FL600 before proceeding on their mission. I guess my question is, will these things operated from above FL600, or will then need lower altitudes to be effective? How will they be segregated from civilian traffic in the DC area? Have there been any new TFR's issued in the last couple of days concerning flying over the area?

The UAV option was considered for a while, but the government retracted it. Now the plan is to use a DHC-7 recce platform the Army has, and it will be manned, by a both military and civilian crew.

I didn't think the UAV idea would last. You're right- unpiloted vehicles are usually protected by restricted airspace, and to have them flying around in the busiest airspace in the world would be a bad idea!

Well, the last I knew of the Predator, it's ceiling was about 260. But that was stripped, with no cameras and fully fueled.

The best altitude for recon was always as low as you could fly without being shot with a shouldered firearm.

The zoom lense could track a license plate from 10,000. Of course, once the vehicle hit the autobahn it would out run the UAV easily.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back