UAV pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BengalsFan

I keep hearing about all the UAV aircraft all over the place... like the DOD contract flyers in the desert, the border patrol, obvously the companies who make them have people to fly them. So what kind of money do these pilots (operators) make? I would assume it must be pretty significant to pull pilots out of the cockpit. Anyone know anything on this subject?

I've wondered the same thing myself. Also, how would you log the time? I'd hate to pursue flying UAV aircraft only to miss out on valuable twin/turbine time.

If you have previous time/exp with a specific system there are contract opportunities. But remeber you're in competition with prior military enlisted non-pilots (eg army 96Us), so what pay there is has more to do with experience with a specific aircraft and sensor system, than drawing a pilot out of a cockpit.

From what I've heard, civilian Raven operators (with military exp) start around 60K, but that's second had from a guy we sent for cross training.

Evergreen

http://www.evergreenaviation.com/emp/index.html

Job Description:

Unmanned Aerial System Pilot

Minimum Experience: 5 or more years of experience in a relevant functional area.

Responsibility: Perform Unmanned Air System technical and / or flight operations in various International locations. Responsible for Unmanned Vehicle pre and post flight system checks, and navigates the UAV to accomplish mission requirements. Must be thoroughly familiar with remote piloting systems, aerodynamic, and UAV flight performance operation parameters.

Minimum Education: Associates degree or equivalent military training and a commercial pilot’s certificate with instrument rating (or Airline Transport Pilot) and meets the qualifications for exercising these privileges.

Unmanned Aerial System Mechanic

Perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on unmanned aerial vehicles. Inspect at regular intervals: airframe, propeller and engine. Repair as needed fuel or oil leaks and engine problems. Remove and replace airframe components as needed including aileron servos, flap servos, brake servos, landing gear servos and throttle and waste gate servos. Perform all launch and recovery of aircraft including necessary inspections, starting engine, operational check, installing payloads (cameras, KU, Datalink, SAR, EO/IR), and fueling and de-fueling. Test, maintain and operate unmanned aerial vehicles and ground support equipment.

REQUIREMENTS:

Must have A & P license, but may substitute 5 years aircraft and engine maintenance experience. Must pass training course for Unmanned aircraft.

Desirable qualifications: Prior UAV crew chief or other UAV experience.

Varies. Must be willing to travel abroad for periods of up to 180 days.

I'm wondering what kind of oversight there is or will be when non-pilot operators are controlling UAV's in airspace with manned aircraft. Most of us have spent years learning to operate our aircraft safely around other aircraft in day and night, VMC and IMC conditions under VFR and IFR flight rules. What kind of training will UAV operators have? Anybody?

Edit: I just reviewed Evergreen's requirement for a commercial with instrument rating. That kinda answers my question but I recall seeing where some UAV operators are not rated pilots. Anybody know when, if and to what extent the FAA is going to be involved in regulating these operations?

Last edited:

PILOT
Category: Pilots Type: Reg Full Time Description: KP611-3724
Pilot a UAV from ground control station. Responsible for the operation of the vehicle including mission planning. Will also have additional flight related collateral duties. This position is located at the El Mirage Flight Test Facility in Adelanto, CA.
Requirements: Minimum Qualifications: Commercial pilot's license with instrument rating with a minimum of 300 hours Pilot In Command time. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.

Desirable Qualifications: CFI preferred. Prior experience in UAV operation, mission planning and actual control of aircraft is desired.
Location Adelanto , CA Minimum Experience (yrs): 0-1 Required Education: Bachelor

Thanks for the replies... I didn't know that the army had UAVs... I thought only the Air Force did, and I know for a fact that only rated pilots (officers) operate them. So the thought of an army grunt flying those things around is a little scary.

But for the original question... I have one maybe 60k.... anybody else find out anything on pay?

at general atomics / asi the pay is very good. about $50k to start. the catch is you're in the middle of no where for weeks on end testing these things (you test fly them once they are built). they also have civilians go fly these things in iraq. then the pay doubles, and is tax free since you will be there for a while. none of there pilots has ever been hurt over there, they are pretty far removed from the action.

'k...

So, now we have two responses of the 50-60k range.

Comments to the original poster:
1. Your facts are wrong. Talk to a TACP or CCT guy. Note that there is a difference between the theater level UAVs and the tacitcal ones.

2. I'd rather be sharing airspace with a 19 year old army UAV operator who is being supervised by an NCO with a few years experience, than an 23 year old with a degree and a 250 hr CPL any day.

3. Far more than just the airforce is operating these things. Even NOAA has taken delivery of systems equivelent to Predator.

-TF

Latest resources

Back